Dean, School of Advanced Technology
POSITION TITLE: Dean, School of Advanced Technology
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and includes a general allowance and benefits package
POSITION OPEN DATE: Autumn Semester 2019
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 15 August 2019
Applications are invited to be Dean of the new School of Advanced Technology being established by XJTLU with effect from 1 September 2019.
JOB ID: 999958A
CONTRACT TYPE: full-time
The School of Advanced Technology
The School of Advanced Technology results from the merger of the existing departments of CSSE and EEE.
The Vision for the School is to:
- Play a leading role in the development of Intelligent Computing and Engineering, and their associated fields, in China and beyond;
- Achieve an effective and collaborative working environment leading to effective and efficient management of academic resources;
- Establish efficient and effective processes of resource and facilities management and administration;
- Support the development of new syntegrative and multi/interdisciplinary educational models for teaching and research;
The mission will be to:
- Enhance and optimize the already existing collaboration among its constituent departments in curriculum development and alignment;
- Strengthen research and professional engagement related to interactive computing and engineering; and
- Turn XJTLU into a leading Chinese Centre of digital technology and advanced engineering.
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 12,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the old town a major tourist attraction, and the SIP representing a new experimental city-in-the-making.
Position of Dean
The position of Dean will be crucial to the development of the new School of Advanced Technology. This position also performs a key leadership role at international level, with full engagement with the University’s strategies and policies. It also carries with it the expectation for the successful candidate to provide academic leadership in the School’s development of both research and teaching, and to that end carries with it appointment as a full professor within the School on an ongoing basis.
Suitable candidates for the role will be able to evidence:
- PhD Degree and academic experience in the fields of Computing Sciences, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Artificial Intelligence or related subjects and disciplines.
- International standing and profile within one of the disciplines of the School as evidenced by high quality publications, grant income and citation and impact indices.
- An excellent track record in teaching and curriculum development, and the ability to provide academic leadership.
- Distinguished academic leadership at an international level.
- Senior academic management experience in a university, institution of higher education, or research institution.
- An ability to act as a mentor for younger members of staff.
- Willingness and ability to take on major leadership roles within the University, and to perform the role successfully as measured by performance indicators and university wide-evaluation.
- An ability to contribute to the development and implementation of University strategies and policies.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, personal travel to and from home, and children’s education. Medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance are provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Funding for research activities are available through University funding schemes.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for a PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write Dean School of Advanced technology.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by 15 August 2019.
Informal enquiries about procedure may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. More substantive issues may be addressed to the Vice President Academic Affairs, Prof David Goodman at email@example.com
Apply for Dean, School of Advanced Technology
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly