Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Caltech Exoplanet Technology Laboratory of Prof. Dimitri Mawet is seeking a Research Assistant to continue the development of the High Contrast Spectroscopy Testbed, a facility dedicated to the development of technologies for the imaging and characterization of exoplanets with future ground-based and space-based telescope. The Research Assistant will also provide assistance with the assembly, integration, and verification of the Keck Planet Imager and Characterizer, an instrument dedicated to exoplanet studies at W.M. Keck Observatory. The position will also imply observations and data analysis of ongoing and future exoplanet and brown dwarf surveys using Keck and Palomar instruments.
- Perform optical alignment and tests.
- Conduct experiments with the HCST in the Exoplanet Technology Lab.
- Write Python and Matlab software for wavefront control and data analysis.
- Possible travel to Keck observatory (HI).
- Undergraduate degree in physics or equivalent.
- Basic coding skills in Matlab and Python.
- Research experience in optics and astronomy.
- Research experience in high contrast imaging.