Innovation Park Manager
Closing date 21 Jul 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary £40,792–£48,677 (Grade 8)
Department Heriot-Watt University
Category Professional & Managerial
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
Our Focus: We are embarking on a number of flagship digital and data driven innovation investments– in total we are investing over £50M over the next 5 years in these new global initiatives, and we aim to work with selected partners to leverage this further, transforming lives and creating opportunities for all. This investment includes GRID and the new National Robotarium.GRID at Heriot-Watt has many dimensions. It’s a place for learning, a way of thinking and a catalyst for collaboration.
GRID brings together global expertise to tackle current industry challenges whilst pioneering new innovation to drive our future economies and companies of scale.Heriot-Watt University Research Park is a key part of the University's campus. The park is already home to a number of business including the Scottish National Blood Transfusion Centre, British Geological Society, Scottish Water. Approximately 110 acres of the land is available for new development.
Purpose of Role: The post offers an excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual to play a key role in supporting the growth of Heriot-Watt University and its future development plans.Working closely with the global Director of Estates & Facilities the post holder will be responsible for developing relationships with our existing tenants and to develop further opportunities with industry engagement and external partnerships.
As our Innovation Park Manager, you will be the day-to-day contact for GRID and our Research Park, developing relationships with existing and prospective partner organisations wishing to co-locate in a vibrant innovation ecosystem.You’ll work in partnership and curate an ecosystem of key stakeholders to co-create growth opportunities for both Heriot-Watt University and the local ecosystems in which we operate. The successful role holder will be responsible for developing new business opportunities that lead to inward investment and growth across the Heriot-Watt University estate globally.The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level or have relevant equivalent work experience; and will have previous experience of working in a customer focused role. You will be an excellent team player, able to develop and manage effective working relationships with a range of stakeholders. You will also possess creativity and a passion for continuous improvement.
Key duties and responsibilities
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with Enterprise and Estates teams to identify and attract strategic partners to establish within the Heriot-Watt University Estate.
- Develop new propositions for partnership, supporting the development of complex business plans and operational models that seek maximum synergy from co-location.
- Leverage funding opportunities for Heriot-Watt University and associated partners
- Engage with prospective partners and customers at multiple levels, manage relationships (new and existing) to develop new business opportunities for Heriot-Watt Research Park and incubation facilities
- Develop relationships with existing and new tenant companies, understanding business objectives and introducing them to relevant opportunities within Heriot-Watt University and the wider partner ecosystem
- Identify opportunities to enhance the customer experience of our tenants and partners within the Heriot-Watt estate.
- Lead on industry visits, facility tours and showcase the strengths and capabilities of Heriot-Watt in collaboration with colleagues.
- Develop sustainable revenue streams for Heriot-Watt including rents, grants, sponsorship and incubation programmes.
- Close deals (e.g. memberships, leases, rent) to drive new financial income.
This role will report directly to the Chief Entrepreneurial Executive, working closely with the Global Director of Estates & Facilities.
Educated to degree level
- Experience developing business plans, bid development and raising finance.
- An entrepreneurial mind-set, with agility and ability to identify and respond to new innovation opportunities.
- Demonstrable track record in delivering property development opportunities – a qualification in property development would be desirable
- Ability to liaise with diverse teams from Enterprise, Estates, Legal and Finance.6. Business development background with a strong focus on delivering excellent customer service.
- Experience of developing opportunities in a related area.
- Understanding of the local environment
Competencies, Tasks and Responsibilities Strategic Outlook
- Contribute to the delivery of the University research and innovation strategy, drawing upon and sharing knowledge gained through engagement and close relationships with colleagues to inform and influence decisions
- Identify, interpret and translate innovation opportunities, keeping in mind the overall strategy and the external environment
- Provide specialist professional, technical and commercial advice within the team and across the University Management
- Manage and monitor the progress of a sales pipeline.
- Manage stakeholder relationships with a strong focus on customer experience.
- Build visible and effective professional relationships across the University and external stakeholders
- Contribute to and actively participate in team, Directorate and University projects Championing Change
- Maintain a strong understanding of changing market conditions, inward investment trends and embrace new opportunities that arise.
- Encourage collaboration to drive new commercial opportunities that will change our future for the better
- Provide high quality, value-added analysis on reports and metrics
- Represent the University within various external stakeholder groups and external events
Planning and Organising
- Review and revise workload allocation/priorities as required
Initiative and Problem Solving
- Address issues that arise and come up with viable solutions
- Ensure delivery of the service within agreed service levels
- Develop and review services and programmes, metrics and feedback, ensuring consistency and continuous improvement of service
- Ensure timely, accurate and informative provision of reports and metrics
Clear and Consistent Communications
- Use appropriate communication methods to ensure key messages and information are disseminated to customers, partners, students and researchers.
- Demonstrate Heriot-Watt Values at all times through performance and behaviour
- Support newer or inexperienced colleagues within and outside the University by offering support, help and advice
- Positively promote the University internally and externally through positive behaviour and supporting University-wide activities
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 21 July 2019
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.