PhD Candidate in Organizational Research With Emphasis on Digitalization
About the position
The position is a temporary position for a period of three years. The position may be ascribed obligation to work and extended with up to one year.
The PhD position is connected to the BRU-21: Better Resource Utilizaton in the 21st Century, NTNUs’ program for research and innovation in digital and automation solutions for the oil and gas industry. The theme of the PhD project is organizational challenges connected to digitalization and changes in general political and economic terms. Research partners in this project is Gassco.
The position suits candidates with an interest in organizational research and digitalization, preferably with a background in sociology, political science or economics.
Main duties and responsibilities
- The PhD candidate must conduct research within the theme oranizational challenges connected to digitalization and changes in general political and economic terms within the BRU-21 program.
- It is required that the candidate participates in international activities, among other through long research stays at educational institutions abroad.
- The position may be ascribed obligation to work, and extended with up to one year, and it is expected that the candidate contributes to teaching in the special fields of the Department as part of this.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in social science, political science, sociology or economics or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
- PhD project sketch (approx. 5 pages)
- 1-2 years relevant experience in research, such as dissemination and participation in research project
- Experience in dissemination in Norwegian and English
- Personal qualifications such as independence, well organized, initiative, cooperative spirit, and motivation to contribute to an including work milieu will be ascribed high importance.
- In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, grades from Master’s degree, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 479 600 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is three years. The position may be ascribed obligation to work and extended by up to one year. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Social Sciences, specializing in sociology or political science.
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterised by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Professor emeritus Per Morten Schiefloe, phone number + 47 73 59 63 23, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about processing of applications, please contact HR, Marie Kristiansen, e-mail: email@example.com
About the application:
Applicants must attach the following documents to their application within the closing date for applications:
- PhD project sketch of approx. 5 pages. This must be finally approved no later than 6 months after appointment in the position.
- CV, recommendations, certificates and diplomas.
- Publications and other relevant scientific work
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas, certificates and publications. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number SU-350 when applying.
Application deadline: 23.08.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Sociology and Political Science
We conduct research, teaching and dissemination in sociology, political science, media, communication and information technology, and sport sciences. The Department offers five-year master’s programmes in teacher education (lektorutdanning) in social sciences as well as in physical education and sports. As a social science department we have a special obligation to contribute to the public debate on important social issues. The Department of Sociology and Political Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences.
Deadline 23rd August 2019
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Jobbnorge ID 172860