PhD Candidate in Sociology
About the position
The PhD-position is a temporary position in the project «In the Shadow of the Welfare State: Living Conditions for the Transnational Precariat» for a period of four years. The PhD position is an educational position that gives a promising research recruit the possibility for scientific development.
The research field for the position is sociology, and the position is connected to the research group «Migration and Mobility». The project is rooted in an international research network on transnational migration, social inequalities and health and welfare, and the PhD candidate will conduct research that contributes to the further development of this network.
The position is ascribed one year obligation to work.
Main duties and responsibilities
- The PhD position is connected to the research group «Migration and Mobility» and the project «In the Shadow of the Welfare State: Living Conditions for the Transnational Precariat”.
- The PhD candidates’ project will study the living conditions for transnational migrants in employment characterized by precarious work conditions (e.g. low income, considerable health strain, temporariness or low social status), and the migrants’ relations to the welfare state. The project has an explicit international comparative dimension.
- It is required that the candidate participates in international activities, among other through research stays at educational institutions abroad.
- The position is ascribed obligation to work for one year (included in the four years), and it is expected that the candidate contributes to teaching in the special fields of the Department as part of this.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in social science, political science or sociology or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
- Good oral and written communication skills in Norwegian and/or English.
- The quality of the PhD project sketch (approx. 5 pages)
- 1-2 years relevant experience in research, such as dissemination and participation in research project, is advantageous.
- Personal qualifications such as independence, well organized, initiative, cooperative spirit, and motivation to contribute to an including work milieu will be ascribed high importance.
- In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, grades from master degree, experience and personal suitability and motivation for the position.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 479 600 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is four years, included in this is one year obligation to work. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Social Sciences, specializing in sociology or political science. As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work. It is a prerequisite that the appointed takes up residence in Trondheim in order to be present and available for the institution as required.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Professor Johan Fredrik Rye, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about processing of applications, please contact HR, Marie Kristiansen, e-mail: email@example.com
About the application:
Applicants must attach the following documents to their application within the closing date for applications:
- A project sketch (approx. 5 pages) about the motivation for and ideas connected to the project “In the Shadow of the Welfare State: Living Conditions for the Transnational Precariat”. In the sketch the applicant should give an outline for research questions, theoretical perspectives and a methodological design for the research project.
- CV, recommendations, certificates and diplomas.
- Publications and other relevant scientific work (max. 3)
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas, certificates and publications. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number SU-355 when applying.
Application deadline: 20.09.2019.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Sociology and Political Science
We conduct research, teaching and dissemination in sociology, political science, media, communication and information technology, and sport sciences. The Department offers five-year master’s programmes in teacher education (lektorutdanning) in social sciences as well as in physical education and sports. As a social science department we have a special obligation to contribute to the public debate on important social issues. The Department of Sociology and Political Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences.
Deadline 20th September 2019
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Jobbnorge ID 172874