Research Associate/Research Fellow, Transforming Maintenance Through Data Science
- Research Associate | Research Fellow
- 3 year appointment
- Salary range: Level A/B
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top Australian universities and a member of the prestigious Group of Eight research-intensive universities ranked among the top 100 universities in the world.
About the work area:
The Australian Centre for Transforming Maintenance through Data Science is a joint collaboration between Curtin University, the University of Western Australia and CSIRO, and industry partners Alcoa, BHP, and Roy Hill, as well as CORE Innovation Hub and the Minerals Research Institute of Western Australia. The Centre, co-funded by the Australian Research Council through the Industrial Transformation Training Centre scheme, aims to train a new generation of data scientist specialists, equipping them with the skills needed to develop new data science methods for solving complex modelling and optimisation challenges in asset maintenance. This cohort of data scientists will drive an exciting transformation of maintenance practice in the Australian resources industry based on new advances in machine learning, artificial intelligence and optimisation. The Centre involves a team of 20 scientists and engineers at the three research institutes together with practicing engineers at the industry partners.
For more information please visit www.maintenance.org.au
The Role: Postdoctoral Research Fellow – Supporting the Maintainer program
This opportunity will involve investigating technologies to support maintenance activities, such as machine learning, ontological reasoning, natural language processing, knowledge capture and knowledge representation. Working with a team of academics from Curtin, UWA and CSIRO and with partner organisations, you will be expected to conduct research leading to publications and industry impacts relevant to the theme.
A large part of the duties will include mentoring and potentially supervising postgraduate research students within this theme.
The research fellow will be required to:
- Liaise with industry contacts and assist students to effectively work with teams consisting of both industry and university stakeholders.
- Work across institutions and act as a mentor for a cohort of research students during study and industry placement.
- Direct and supervise final year undergraduate students and PhD students.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline within engineering, physics, computer science, or mathematics.
- Research experience in Natural Language Processing and Knowledge Representation.
- Track record of research publication and in seeking and obtaining grant funding (relative to opportunity).
- Written and verbal communication skills in the preparation of high-quality reports, presentations and publications.
- Organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines.
Additional requirements that are considered highly relevant to the hiring process:
- Experience of working with industry partners on industry problems will be well regarded
- Experience working as a team player, preferably within a cross-disciplinary team.
- Experience in translating research outcomes to practise. This may include development and delivery of industry short-courses or relevant software development
- Experience in translating academic outcomes and language to industry terms, highly desirable.
- Experience working with collaboratively with more than one institution
Your time will be split between UWA and Curtin campuses. In addition you will be expected to spend time on industry partner sites.
Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position descriptions and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
Closing date: 1 September 2019
These positions are open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Computer Science Research Associate jobs in Perth
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Research Associate jobs in Perth
- Fixed Term Mathematics & Statistics Research Associate jobs in Perth
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Research Associate jobs in Perth
- Fixed Term Physics & Astronomy Research Associate jobs in Perth