Professor/Associate Professor of Practice, Educational Leadership
7 days left
- Full Time
About the Position
Professors/Associate Professors of Practice are highly distinguished professionals with leading national and international reputations in their specific fields who have demonstrated outstanding and sustained leadership and achievement.
Applicants will ideally hold a doctoral qualification and have at least 15 plus years executive/senior industry or government experience with outstanding achievements.
As Professor/Associate Professor of Practice in the School of Teacher Education and Leadership, you will provide exceptional leadership in the area of leadership and management of educational institutions, with a strong capability to build national and international relationships across research groups, relevant professional associations and with industry.
You will play a collaborative role within the School, drawing on the outstanding team of leadership and management academics. You will be a strategic thinker who will provide leadership in teaching educational leadership and management postgraduate courses and professional development programs, and contribute to research.
This position reports to the Head, School of Teacher Education and Leadership for supervision, workload management and for Performance Planning and Review (PPR).
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and contribute to educational leadership teaching in courses and professional development programs drawing on real world experience to develop and promote innovative teaching methods.
- Leverage significant professional experience to augment learning and teaching programs.
- Provide senior leadership in academic development and direction of educational leadership that advances the goals of the School, and the Faculty of Education.
- Lead the development of industry partnerships and relationships.
- Broker and participate in the identification and management of 'real world' applied research programs/grants with corporate and government clients.
- Engage with and maintain discipline currency in education leadership and management.
- Implement and administer University policy within the Faculty with respect to equitable access to education and workplace health and safety.
The successful candidate may be appointed at Associate Professor, Level D or Professor, Level E depending on their experience, achievements, qualifications and also considering the level of attainment against the position classification standards outlined in the QUT Enterprise Agreement (Academic Staff).
As an example, Associate Professor/Professor of Practice may be current or former Principals, CEOs of educational organisations and/or senior public servants in the education sector.
The University reserves the right to appoint at either classification level.
Real World Capabilities
To deliver on QUT’s global, collaborative and connected vision requires a workforce that embodies the following capabilities:
- Agility and openness to change
- Connectivity and collaboration (intra and inter-disciplinary)
- Cultural inclusion
- Digital literacy
- Future-focused thinking (strategic, innovative & design and entrepreneurial)
- Global in intent and reach
- Leadership of strategy, action and others
- Performance and resource management
Type of appointment
This appointment will be offered on an ongoing, full-time basis.
Kelvin Grove campus.
- Record of outstanding leadership and significant national/international reputation for excellence and achievement in educational leadership.
- A relevant higher degree (ideally a doctoral award) and significant and sustained executive/senior management or consulting experience in educational leadership.
- Highly developed communication skills relevant to the co-design, development and the delivery of F2F workshops, blended and online programs for professional and executive audiences.
- Demonstrated depth of discipline knowledge and connection, and demonstrated ability to capitalise on opportunities within a changing research/teaching/disciplinary context.
- Outstanding communication and influencing skills to effectively lead and work in teams to establish extensive networks and collaborations that realise new opportunities.
- Significant evidence of ability to think strategically, adapt and remain future focused in a way that provides real impact and promotes innovative and real-world learning.
- Ability to participate in end-user related research projects and/or broker research partnerships with a strong appreciation of the importance of education research to advancing society.
Remuneration and Benefits
The classification for this position is either:
- Academic Level E (LEVE) (Professor) which has an annual remuneration of $214,561 pa. Which is inclusive of an annual salary of $181,307 pa, 17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading.
- Academic Level D (LEVD) (Associate Professor) which has an annual remuneration of $166,556 to $183,506 pa. Which is inclusive of an annual salary of $140,742 to $155,065 pa, 17% superannuation and 17.5% recreation leave loading.
Beyond personal and professional fulfilment, a career at QUT brings a broad range of tangible benefits. With competitive remuneration including superannuation, the University offers real and generous benefits.
QUT is a high quality and flexible organisation that is proud of its excellent employment conditions which include but are not limited to:
- Parental leave provisions
- Study support encompassing leave and financial assistance
- Comprehensive professional development
- Salary Packaging
Further benefits can be found at the Working at QUT page.
Information for applicants
The position is open to applicants who have ongoing full-time work rights in Australia. Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
For further information about the position, please contact Professor Kar -Tin Lee, Head, School of Teacher Education and Leadership on (07) 3138 3803; or for further information about working at QUT contact Jenny Browne, Senior HR Partner on (07) 3138 0750.
QUT welcomes applications from candidates outside the greater Brisbane area. QUT may meet some travel and relocation expenses involved in the interview and employment commencing process.
QUT is proud to be an inaugural Athena SWAN charter member. We have extensive and established support programs for women in STEMM. For more information on the Athena SWAN charter, contact
Tracy Straughan on (07) 3138 1584.
In assessing merit, the panel will take into consideration “performance or achievement relative to opportunity”. We recognise that many staff today have a range of personal circumstances, and career histories that challenge traditional ideas of an academic staff member. This may mean, for example, prioritising the quality of achievement rather than the quantity, as considerations of part - time employment, career interruptions and significant periods of leave are taken into account when assessing performance or achievement.
The selection panel is also committed to conducting a process which is fair and free from bias, including unconscious bias.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply, please visit www.qut.edu.au/jobs for reference number 19631.
When applying for this position your application must include the following:
- A current resume
- A statement addressing the selection criteria
Applications close: 4 August 2019
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are one of the nation’s fastest growing research universities and our courses are in high demand.
We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenged world. We are transforming the student experience we offer our 50,000 students and we place a premium on the international and national accreditation of our various professional degrees.
Our internationally award-winning Science and Engineering Centre is home to The Cube, acknowledged as one of the world’s largest digital interactive learning and display spaces. We invest heavily in collaborative learning and interdisciplinary research environments, including the new $95M Education Precinct.
Further information about QUT can be obtained from the website at www.qut.edu.au.
The QUT Blueprint 5 is our institutional strategic plan. It sets out priorities, strategies and key performance indicators to drive greater coherence and coordination of our efforts. Our overall vision for the future is:
- to provide outstanding real world education through physical and virtual learning environments and innovative courses that lead to excellent outcomes for graduates living in a diverse and complex environment characterised by rapid, transformative change;
- to focus on being a globally leading university that delivers solutions to the challenges of today and of the future through high-impact research that spans discipline boundaries and works in partnership with end users, leveraging our deep technological strengths and alignment to the human capital and innovation needs of the global economy;
- to strengthen and extend partnerships with professional and broader communities to build our reputation as a source of knowledge that is applied to real world challenges.
Our Real World Learning 2020 Vision outlines our clear aspirations for our graduates and learner experiences, consistent with our distinctive identity as a university for the real world.
To enact this vision over the coming years we will continue to commit ourselves to a culture of collaboration, working closely with staff and students and with industry and community partners to support the evolving needs of our learners.
About the Faculty of Education
The Faculty of Education is a national leader in teacher education and in many areas of education research.
Our undergraduate and graduate entry initial teacher education programs are accredited nationally and our early childhood programs are also accredited with ACECQA. Our postgraduate coursework and research degrees are highly regarded, and we have made a substantial investment in the development and delivery of real-world professional development short courses and modules.
We are a recognised leader in research and research training as evidenced by our ‘above world standard’ ranking overall in every Excellence in Research Australia assessment. We engage with many partners through ARC Discovery and Linkage research projects and lead Program 2: School Years in the Autism Cooperative Research Centre.
We have extensive links with partner organisations and universities in Australia and overseas. These include both large and small professional development contracts with the Queensland government, in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe, and USA. As a globally-connected faculty, we have worked with aid agencies (AusAid, Asian Development Bank and the World Bank) to implement learning and development programs that lead to social advancement.
In keeping with our vision for excellence in learning and teaching, the University has built a new $95 million Education Precinct on its Kelvin Grove Campus. The Precinct comprises imaginatively designed formal and informal, face-to-face and online learning and teaching spaces and will offer excellent facilities for social interaction and recreation. The Precinct’s futuristic design and its location at the heart of the Kelvin Grove Campus showcases Education, gives it prominence, and demonstrates QUT’s vision for the Faculty as a leader, innovator, and model for the University as we continue to transform our learning and teaching.
About the School
The School of Teacher Education and Leadership offers high-quality courses taught by an accomplished and dynamic group of academics with national and international recognition for their teaching and research. The School strives to educate teachers committed to tackling the challenges of the 21st century by providing innovative educational opportunities for learners within the global society. Our undergraduate and postgraduate students benefit from collaborative and multi-disciplinary approaches to research and teaching while studying in an environment that allows them to experiment, learn and grow within a Real World context.