Food Service Worker IV, Lead Driver/Houseman, Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. R&DE comprises 11000+ staff in the following divisions: Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP Office), Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration including Information Technology, Human Resources, Strategic Communications, and Maintenance Operations & Capital Planning. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
ABOUT STANFORD HOSPITALITY & AUXILIARIES:
Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at “the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings and numerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Award for excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of the industry’s most prestigious and coveted awards, give to those operations that meet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE’s vision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries is a Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and using equipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources. The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognition of these initiatives
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Employees at this level carry out a variety of food preparation tasks of limited complexity. Prepare all Hot/cold foods, and in doing so, make decisions regarding the quality of produce, portioning of ingredients, seasoning and attractiveness of the final product. In addition to the preparation of specific menu items (working from standardized recipes and daily production sheets provided by management) order supplies from the storerooms, pre-pare menu items for following meals and store leftover food. They may substitute menu selections within guidelines established by management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of all recipes, ingredients, presentation standards and quality adherence standards.
- Cook all recipes according to brand standards.
- As Culinary Lead ensure that all foods prepared by other staff-members are prepared and served to recipe specification.
- Communicate to staff needed tasks, new business issues, and areas of concern.
- Be a certified trainer and oversee all training of new staff members in relation to food handling or preparation.
- Ensure adequate stock levels are maintained on raw ingredients and prepared food items to keep up with the demands of the business.
- Ensure all stocks are held at correct temperatures, properly rotated, labeled, dated and covered.
- Ensure all kitchen and food service areas are clean and sanitary
- Ensure all staff members are following food safety standards.
- Communicate any opportunities, problems or areas of concern to manager.
- Serve-Safe Certified.
- Good working knowledge of kitchen, cooking skills, knife skills and prep techniques.
- 2 to 5 years cooking experience in commercial kitchen.
- 2 years minimum Thai and/or Vietnamese cooking experience.
- Organized in administrative and restaurant work practices.
- Possesses excellent follow through skills and attention to detail.
- Possesses a high energy level and able to sustain a high volume and fast paced environment for extended periods of time.
- Ability to communicate positively and train staff with all levels of experience and ability.
- Passion for excellence.
- Ability to interact effectively with customers and co-workers.
- Must adhere to the department policies and procedures.
- Valid CA Driver License
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS:
Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
Ability to stand for prolonged periods, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items. Physical agility critical to perform essential job functions. Lift up to 25 lbs pounds must have manual dexterity. Ability to work around hot equipment (stoves, grills, ovens).
WORKING CONDITIONS AND FREQUENCY OF OCCURRENCE:
- Extreme Temperature Changes (10%-30%)
- Walking (30%-60%)
- Standing (50%-80%)
- Sitting (10%-20%)
- Bending (10%-50%)
- Squatting (10%-20%)
- Hand and Finger Dexterity (10%-40%)
- Reaching (10%-50%)
- Climbing (10%-20%)
- Noise (90%-100%)
- Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling
- Up to 10 Pounds (30%-60%)
- Up to 25 Pounds (20%-50%)
- Up to 50 Pounds (10%-20%)
- Over 50 Pounds (5%-10%)
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7288
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A63