Technology Licensing Associate
The Office of Technology Licensing at Stanford University seeks to fill one Technology Licensing Associate 1 position, with a focus on physical sciences. In this role, you will be mentored by experienced Licensing Associates, and will collaborate with inventors to evaluate and develop technology licensing opportunities and strategies, negotiate the terms and conditions of agreements and administer patent-related activities. This position assumes only limited knowledge of market assessment and intellectual property protection and licensing and will offer extensive on-the-job training in these areas.
The Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) was established in 1970 to manage the intellectual property assets of Stanford University. OTL evaluates, markets, and licenses technology owned by the University. OTL's mission is to encourage effective technology transfer for the public benefit as well as generating royalty income for Stanford to benefit research and education. OTL is one of the country's most active offices in the field of technology transfer from the university to industry. Our staff, most of whom are professionals engaged directly in licensing, manages over 3,000 active dockets.
- With guidance from a group of experienced Licensing Associates, you will learn and progressively take responsibility for the following:
- Evaluate and analyze new invention disclosures, including initial review, participate in inventor meetings, identify and follow up on third party obligations, assess business opportunities and review and make initial assessment of invention patentability.
- Collaborate with Business Development and Marketing specialists and inventors on developing and implementing marketing strategies for new inventions.
- Participate in developing licensing strategies, identify and initiate contact with potential licensees, negotiate terms, prepare draft agreements, and close the deal.
- Administer patent-related activities including attorney selection, determination of geographies and timing for filing, instruction of attorneys following review of official actions and attorney work products, and case management of an inventory of inventions.
- Assist in monitoring license agreements, ensure compliance with diligence terms, prepare and execute amendments, and process terminations.
- Maintain and develop relations with licensees; monitor progress in licensed product(s) development.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
Education and Experience:
- Minimum requirement is a B.S. in a physical science discipline (for example physics, applied physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or chemical engineering) and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- An advanced degree in one of the scientific or engineering disciplines listed above and/or MBA and/or JD is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong professional interpersonal, oral, written and presentation skills.
- Strong technical training and analytical skills sufficient to gain a rapid understanding of new cutting-edge technologies.
- Ability to learn how to influence and negotiate with internal constituencies and external business partners.
- Ability to take ownership of projects from inception to completion, including working with a team to develop and then implement patenting and licensing strategies.
- Ability to rapidly grow in knowledge and learn to routinely and independently exercise sound judgment and decision making, including in the context of only having access to limited or incomplete information.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage a large volume and prioritize a variety of tasks and demands.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn applicable business-related systems.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, seated work and use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk, use a telephone, lift, carry, push, pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely writes by hand.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Stanford University is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring qualified women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Background check will be required for all final candidates.
Job Code: 4501
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 83721