Cryostats Mechanical Engineer
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Would you like to work in a place where new large and fundamental research projects are just starting? Are you a Mechanical Engineer with expertise in cryostats who enjoys leading innovative projects? Then join the Neutrino Platform Project and contribute to the success of one of the most important physics centre in the world. CERN, take part!
The Neutrino Platform Project is CERN’s undertaking to foster and contribute to fundamental research in neutrino physics at particle accelerators worldwide (Short and Long Baseline Facilities), as recommended by the 2013 European Strategy for Particle Physics. It includes the provision of a facility at CERN to allow the global community of neutrino experts to develop and prototype the next generation of neutrino detectors, and participation in the large neutrino experiments that will be carried out world-wide. The CERN Neutrino Platform is CERN’s main contribution to a globally coordinated programme of neutrino research.
- Lead the design and construction of large membrane cryostats to be used in short and long neutrino baselines facilities, dark matter experiment and other possible application.
- Lead a team of designers and engineers.
- Act as reference person for the deployment of the membrane cryostats for several detectors, driving the design, construction, installation and commissioning, taking a leading role in the components selection and procurement and taking responsibility for their safety compliance.
- Lead a team of technicians in the field during the construction phase and supervise the activities of various specialized firms contracted for such activities.
- Participate in the R&D program of the team for the next generation of detectors, with particular focus on construction aspects.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Extensive experience in heavy mechanical construction, in particular for underground installations.
- Experience on large membrane cryostats design and construction.
- Familiarity with modern CAD systems and structural analysis codes.
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams of technicians and designers in a matrix organization, in particular for construction work and operation activities on complex non-industrial systems.
- Proven records of selection, industrial procurement of heavy mechanical systems.
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures.
- Design and construction of cryostats (membrane cryostats).
- Assembly and integration of detectors: in order to guide technicians on the field during the assembly phases with experience in handling and manipulating large mechanical elements.
- Configuration and use of information management systems: CAD systems for 2D and 3D applications.
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: welding: incl. qualification process.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Communicating effectively: successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments.
- Solving problems: adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than "gold -plated" technical solutions.
- Creating vision and strategic partnerships: recognizing the benefits of collaboration with external partners, understanding their functioning and developing a strong network within the sector.
- Leading with strength and credibility: demonstrating authority and being accountable for actions, decisions and effective functioning of the team.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.07.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Frequent duty travels outside CERN and outside Europe.
- Work outside CERN during extended periods (months).
Job grade: 6-7
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further