Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Specialist
Australian National Phenome Centre
- 3 year fixed term, full time position (37.5 hours per week)
- H0708 | $82k-$107k plus 17% employer superannuation contributions
- Salary Packaging opportunities
An exciting new opportunity has arisen for an experienced Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Specialist to join the Australian National Phenome Centre (ANPC) – a newly established metabolic phenotyping facility involved in revolutionizing precision medicine and personalized health. The ANPC is focused on the application of advanced spectroscopic technologies and methodologies to research areas in clinical health including diabetes, obesity, autism, healthy ageing and the microbiome.
Based at Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research (adjacent to Fiona Stanley Hospital), the ANPC is a powerful resource that enables research to examine the complex interactions between genes, lifestyle and the environment.
The ANPC is the first dedicated metabolic phenotyping facility in Australia and the largest in the world. It supports an extremely diverse array of spectroscopic instruments, including Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometers (600MHz, FoodScreener and cryo-probe NMR) and Mass Spectrometers (UPLC-QTOF/MS, FT-MS, TQ-MS, GC-QTOF/MS, etc).
Responsible to the Senior Operations Manager, this position is an opportunity for an emerging researcher (PhD or near-completion) to be involved in the early establishment of a truly unique facility under the scientific leadership of Professor Jeremy Nicholson (Executive Director of the ANPC and the Pro Vice Chancellor Health Futures Institute) and Professor Elaine Holmes (WA Premier’s Fellow in Phenomics and Systems Medicine).
The NMR Specialist is a highly-trained researcher proficient in the use of NMR spectroscopy for high-throughput metabolic phenotyping and small molecule analysis of biofluids, tissue extracts and other matrices of biological and medical significance. Previous experience in MAS-NMR, SPE-NMR and LC-NMR-MS is advantageous; advanced chemometric and statistical analysis is highly desirable. The post will be concerned with all practical laboratory aspects required to acquire high-quality NMR data, sample handling and preparation, instrument troubleshooting and maintenance as well as analytical method development.
Skills and Experience
The preferred candidate will be a highly motivated researcher who is passionate about the application of NMR spectroscopy to deliver translational outcomes in precision medicine and personalised health. Possessing a tertiary qualification (doctoral studies preferred) in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, metabolomics, phenomics or a related field, is a key requirement of this role.
You will be experienced in the following:
- Demonstrated ability to work with other NMR specialists in the development of new methods and the implementation of validated methods as part of routine work,
- Considerable knowledge in operations, maintenance and troubleshooting of NMR spectrometers,
- Data quality assurance and statistical modelling for metabolite annotation and identification,
- Strong organisational skills required to coordinate projects, including the accurate maintenance of records,
- Strong communications skills required to articulate technical objectives and translate findings to other researchers or a non-scientific audience,
Applicants should refer to the Position Description for further detail on the duties, skills and experience required for this role.
For more information or to apply:
Please visit http://jobs.murdoch.edu.au/ to view the Position Description and apply, or to find out more about joining Murdoch.
Closing date: 28 July 2019 (11:59pm)
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health Other Research Related jobs in Perth
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Other Research Related jobs in Perth
- Fixed Term Medicine & Dentistry Other Research Related jobs in Perth
- Fixed Term Other Health & Social Care Other Research Related jobs in Perth
- Fixed Term Chemistry Other Research Related jobs in Perth