Professor/Associate Professor, Indigenous Studies, Director
Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Arts
Department/School: School of Culture and Communication
Salary: $195,618 (Level E)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - 17% superannuation
Indigenous Studies is a key program at The University of Melbourne.
To be a world-leading Indigenous research-informed teaching program that is global in reach, local in engagement
To produce world-class graduates intellectually equipped to engage Indigenous peoples.
- Community engagement
The Indigenous Studies Program is located in the School of Culture and Communication; the thriving centre for critical thinking in the humanities at The University of Melbourne. The School’s range of study specialties also include literary, screen and cultural studies; art history, curatorship and art management; cinema, theatre and performance; and media, journalism and communication. The School also hosts the ARC Centre of Excellence for the History of Emotions, the Australian Institute of Art History, the Australian Centre, and the Research Unit in Public Culture.
Our newly redesigned program is will be launched in 2020, becoming the first fully cross-disciplinary Indigenous Studies program at The University of Melbourne. It will draw from several Faculties across our campuses while maintaining the School of Culture and Communication as its home base. The purpose of the program is:
- To give recognition to Indigenous Studies as an academic discipline that incorporates Indigenous knowledge systems, Indigenous cultural, performative, literary contributions to knowledge, and traditional as well as technological, cinematic and digital practices and innovations;
- To meaningfully acknowledge and show respect for the traditional owners of our campus locations, and collaborate with the Wurundjeri people on whose land our Parkville campus is located to incorporate their cultural and social concepts and values at The University of Melbourne;
- To engage with Indigenous scholars, leaders, thinkers and others, both in their traditional lands and estates, and their places of residence and work ,to enrich the Indigenous Studies Program.
- To communicate to students, potential students and the wider public the quality and breadth of Indigenous Studies at The University of Melbourne and its role as an internationally recognised academic discipline; and,
- To provide a foundation of academic achievement and leadership across The University of Melbourne, grounded in Indigenous engagement and Indigenous knowledges.
The Program reports to the Dean of Arts and the Head of School of Culture and Communication the Program and is guided by the Indigenous Studies Advisory Committee chaired by the Pro Vice Chancellor (Indigenous) and the Associate Provost. The committee is comprised of senior and junior Indigenous academics and local community elders. It plays an ongoing critical role in assisting and guiding the redesigned program, not least the appointment of the Professor of Indigenous Studies who will also fulfil the role of the Director of the Indigenous Studies Program.
The successful appointee will be responsible for providing program leadership and development within and beyond the Faculty of Arts, while also making major contributions in the areas of research, academic leadership, administration and professional development, and teaching excellence at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including Research Higher Degree supervision. She/he will have both an established research specialisation in an aspect of Indigenous Studies, nationally and internationally, and an academic administrative track record. She/he will also have a high level of research performance demonstrated by a successful track record of refereed publications and research grants. A key duty of the successful appointee will be to foster interdisciplinary and engagement activities connected to the discipline.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to:
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY via the University website. To apply please send you application to: email@example.com
For further information please contact Insight by phone on: +61 3 9654 3288 or
Dr Rohan Carr at The Insight Group, by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Emily Witts at The Insight Group, by email email@example.com
Applications close: 31 Jul 2019 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time