Professor / Second Chair: Department of Medicine
The Faculty of Health Sciences’ vision is to be a centre of excellence in health sciences that is locally relevant and globally competitive. Established 113 years ago, the Faculty hosts the oldest medical school in sub-Saharan Africa, and the top-rated Faculty of Health Sciences on the African continent. The Department of Medicine at the University of Cape Town and Groote Schuur Hospital is a large clinical and academic department which plays a leading role in medical education and research, and provides clinical services to the population of the Western Cape and, in the case of our highly specialised services, to patients throughout Southern Africa.
The University of Cape Town and the Department of Health of the Western Cape Government invite applications for this exciting permanent post of Professor and Second Chair:Department of Medicine, within UCT’s world-leading Faculty.
The successful person:
- Will play the role of Deputy Head of the Department of Medicine
- Will provide leadership and actively participate in the clinical service, undergraduate and postgraduate education and training, and promote a multidisciplinary approach to Medicine.
- Will inspire innovation and change, and manage the staff, resources and performance in the Department of Medicine.
- Should have demonstrated leadership in the field of Medicine, and have experience in the areas of clinical service delivery, education and training.
- Should have a good record of scholarship and research.
- Should have insight into the challenges and opportunities for advancing health care in South Africa and Africa.
- Should have an understanding of and committment to the Primary Health Care approach to education and training, and have an outcomes-based approach to the services provided.
- Will provide and demonstrate excellent leadership in attracting and developing students and staff.
- Will provide leadership with regard to issues of diversity, transformation and equity.
The successful candidate must be a Physician, with a minimum of 5 years registered experience in the speciality of Medicine, and hold a qualification that is registerable with the HPCSA as a medical specialist.
This permanent post is on the establishment of the University of Cape Town under the Joint Agreement with the Western Cape Government.
The annual remuneration package, including benefits, is appropriate to the academic and clinical level of Professor and Chair and Head of Clinical Department.
Enquiries about this post should be directed to the Head of the Department of Medicine, Professor Ntobeko Ntusi at Ntobeko.Ntusi@uct.ac.za or 021 406 6200.
To apply, please e-mail the documents listed below in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Department Website: http://www.medicine.uct.ac.za/
WCG website: www.capegateway.gov.za/eng/your_gov/305
Faculty website: http://www.health.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E19235
Closing date: 15 July 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf . For this post we seek particularly to attract black (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian) South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.