Dean: Faculty of Health Sciences
5 days left
- Full Time
DEAN: FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
The University of Cape Town is seeking a qualified health professional with a proven record of leadership and managerial expertise to become the dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences. A sound understanding of the South African health system and health sciences education is crucial. The position is on the Joint Establishment of the University of Cape Town (UCT) and the Western Cape Government (WCG), and the appointment commences as soon as possible.
UCT’s Faculty of Health Sciences is regarded as a leading medical school in Africa and globally and has a prestigious reputation for medical achievement and ground-breaking research that has impacted on health globally. Over 5000 medical, science and allied health care students are trained at both under-graduate and post-graduate levels to respond to local and global health challenges. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to provide vision and academic leadership to a large and complex Faculty. The successful applicant would also need to drive fund raising initiatives to support the academic enterprise of the Faculty.
The Faculty is committed to ongoing transformation to address the inequities of the past and the Dean would be responsible for implementing transformation. This includes promoting women and black staff to positions of leadership, making appointments that reflect the diversity of the country, diversifying the staff and student bodies and supporting on-going curriculum reform.
The Dean would need to build and strengthen health care and academic partnerships, including managing the agreements with the Western Cape Government and the National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS).
At a university-wide level, the successful applicant will be a member of the Senior Leadership team of the University and will be expected to contribute to furthering the strategic goals of the University.
We are seeking candidates who have the following:
- Qualified as a health professional with a minimum qualification of either an MBCHB for medical doctors or a PhD for allied health professional and basic medical scientists (a medical qualification will be advantageous).
- Demonstrable leadership experience in tertiary education and health sector.
- Demonstrable track record managing a complex portfolio.
- Demonstrable track record in fundraising and philanthropic engagement.
- Proven management and administration skills.
- Proven leadership experience and the ability to inspire and innovate.
- Thorough understanding of the social, political and economic environments in which South African universities, operate and an active commitment to transformation and inclusiveness.
- Sound working knowledge of all three mandates, i.e. education, research and service including:
- insight regarding university matters and knowledge of the Health Sciences Higher Education domain (in relation to politics/government, management, governance), and ability to interact with senior university management structures;
- insight into the health systems (both public and private). and
- a good understanding of, and respect for, teaching and research, with the ability to support and develop these mandates.
- Remuneration will be appropriate to the senior management level. The initial term of appointment of a Dean is for five years and there is a limit of one contract renewal, subject to performance assessment.
To apply, please e-mail the following documents in a single pdf file to Mr Craig Alexander at email@example.com:
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be required to make an open presentation to relevant stakeholders.
Please ensure the post title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide further documentation on their candidacy.
The appointment procedures are available at: http://www.hr.uct.ac.za/hr/recruitment/exec_appointments/deans
Telephone: +27 21 650 5429
Reference number: E19233
Closing date: 14 July 2019
Nominations for candidates; with a brief motivation, will also be accepted and may be sent to Mr Craig Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
The University reserves the right to extend the closing date if deemed necessary and reserves the right to make no appointment.
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving our equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf . For this post we seek particularly to attract black South African candidates.
- A covering letter which addresses the above criteria, including a statement on your potential contribution as Dean
- Your full curriculum vitae with the names and contact details of three referees.
- The HR204 application form for Senior Executive Posts available at: http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr204.doc