As part of the School of Engineering’s Dean’s Office, the newly-formed Analytics group supports strategic decision-making throughout the school by ensuring access to timely, meaningful, and actionable information. The team supports leadership and functional groups throughout the Dean’s Office, including finance, human resources, research administration, faculty affairs, external relations, and student affairs, as well as the school’s academic departments and programs. Reporting to the Director of Analytics, the Data Analyst will leverage a wide range of data sources, quantitative and qualitative methods, and technical tools in independent and collaborative projects ranging from improving routine annual reporting to deep dives into specific questions from the school’s decision-makers.
The successful candidate will be curious, collaborative, and creative, with an eagerness to learn about new topics and new analytic techniques, and an ability to communicate results effectively
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting decision-making throughout the School of Engineering by extracting, evaluating, analyzing, and compiling data, using a variety of analytic tools and techniques.
- Identifying relevant data sources; creating datasets for analysis; recommending and implementing new data collection, management, and reporting processes as needed.
- Identifying patterns, trends, and other insights in datasets using qualitative and quantitative techniques.
- Producing audience-appropriate deliverables (e.g., reports, charts, tables, dashboards) for school leadership and staff, other internal stakeholders, and external agencies as applicable.
- Serving as a resource for inquiries about data and reporting across functional areas.
- Establishing systems for maximizing the efficiency and accuracy of reporting, monitoring data integrity, and facilitating integrations across data sources.
- Collaborating with technical staff and end users to standardize, systematize, and automate routine reports, dashboards, and metrics, as well as with partners throughout the university on the development of shared or central solutions as appropriate.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- A bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience with analytical, reporting, and database tools and software, such as Tableau, Crystal Reports, SAS, Oracle, OBIEE, MS SQL, or similar.
- Ability to collect data using a variety of methods, such as data mining and hardcopy or electronic document study, to improve or expand datasets.
- Ability to design and create meaningful research questions, datasets, and analyses.
- Strong ability to evaluate data quality, and to identify appropriate methods for working with data of varying levels of quality and validity.
- Ability to shape data into deliverables that are clear, understandable, and meet users’ needs.
- Ability to manage multiple activities in a deadline-oriented environment, including strong organizational skills and flexibility.
- Rigorous attention to detail.
- Basic statistical analysis skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to take a leadership role on projects and with users and clients.
In addition, preferred qualifications include:
- Experience working in higher education, including familiarity with data, systems, and business processes in a relevant functional area.
- Experience in a quantitative or social science discipline, such as statistics, finance, psychology, or sociology.
- Familiarity with institutional research, assessment, program evaluation, or business intelligence.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job
How to apply:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button above. To be considered, please upload a cover letter and resume as part of your online application.
Job Code: 4745
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 83679