Life Science Research Professional
• Apply existing protocols to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
• Conduct experiments in collaboration with Sr. Research Scientist; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
• Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
• Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
• Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
• Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
• Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
Bachelor’s degree in any Life Sciences field. Expertise in laboratory techniques (like Western Blotting, Flow Cytometry, Tissue Culture) and small animal handling will be an added bonus.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
• General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
• Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
• Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
• General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
• Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
• Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
• Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
• Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
• Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
• Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
• Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
• Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
• May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
• May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
• Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
• Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
• May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
Job Code: 4945
Employee Status: Regular
Department URL: http://pediatrics.stanford.edu/
Requisition ID: 83658