Life Science Research Professional
The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
Department of Bioengineering
Stanford Bioengineering is a dynamic and rapidly growing department within the Stanford Schools of Engineering and Medicine. For more than a decade, the Department of Bioengineering has sought to advance bioengineering as a fundamental engineering discipline grounded in basic sciences, powered by a unique set of engineering concepts and principles, and capable of realizing many diverse applications. Our community ranges broadly, consisting of esteemed alumni, world class faculty and students, dynamic staff and administrators and include some of the world's most successful leaders in bioengineering technology and business In realizing our mission, our staff are critical to supporting our organization’s goals and enabling Stanford faculty and students to accomplish its mission conducting cutting-edge research with the objective of formulating innovative solutions to global challenges through the field of bioengineering.
The Qi Lab in the Department of Bioengineering at Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional to join our team working directly under a postdoctoral researcher in a new collaboration with the Department of Ophthalmology and Byers Eye Institute at the Stanford School of Medicine. You will help explore and execute projects on genome and epigenome editing using CRISPR in systems of ocular diseases, such as optic nerve degeneration. We are seeking a self-motivated individual who is passionate about translational science, and able to learn diverse techniques quickly. Those with computational background or experience working with animal models are especially encouraged to apply. In the first year, you will work under direct supervision of a postdoctoral researcher, while still benefiting from mentorship from Dr. Qi as well as resources in the School of Medicine. In the second year, you will have the opportunity to continue the same project independently, executing and analyzing experiments, with a potential for training other personnel.
Please note that while this is a two-year fixed term position, there may be an option for renewal based on funding.
Your responsibilities include:
- Must keep an accurate laboratory notebook for all studies.
- Plan and perform experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field, based on knowledge of scientific theory. Interpret and perform basic analyses of results.
- Offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with graduate and post-doctoral individuals.
- Make recommendations on the research design and direction.
- Plan and coordinate experiments from beginning to end. Responsible for interpretation of data and findings and maintaining detailed records of experiments and outcomes, suggesting modifications to existing procedures when needed.
- May also be required to recommend changes in protocols to prevent reoccurrence of problems.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Help orient and train new staff or students.
- Flexibility with other tasks as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
- Computational background or experience working with animal models
- Demonstrate aptitude in foresight, planning, and ability to organize as required by research.
- General understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Master's degree in related scientific field and 2 years lab experience.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff.We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
- We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
Job Code: 4945
Employee Status: Fixed-Term
Requisition ID: 83638