Research Administration Officer, CogSleep CRE and Healthy Brain Ageing Research Program
Brain and Mind Centre/Charles Perkins Centre/ Healthy Brain Ageing
School of Psychology
Faculty of Science
- Opportunity to provide executive assistance, administrative services and operational support
- Located at Brain and Mind Centre and Charles Perkins Centre in the School of Psychology
- Full-time 12 months Fixed Term, Base Salary: $73,358 p.a. - $82,136 p.a. Level 5, plus a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
Reporting to Professor Sharon Naismith, Leonard P Ullmann Chair in Psychology, the successful candidate will provide executive assistance, administrative services and operational support to Prof Naismith and her research team across the CogSleep Centre of Research Excellence as well as the Healthy Brain Ageing Program, to support their research activities and requirements for the work areas. This includes administration and coordination of CogSleep CRE research activities, marketing and social media, executive administration and assistance for Prof Naismith, administration of activities for the Healthy Brain Ageing team (e.g. HR requirements, travel arrangements, expense management via Concur, and coordinating and facilitating team meetings), day-to-day administration and coordination of the Healthy Brain Ageing clinic (including referral intake, participant eligibility screening, clinic scheduling and participant bookings, liaising with clinicians and researchers, managing participant data collection and quality assurance, coordinating student observation, coordinating volunteer tasks), research administration assistance with grant applications and submissions, preparing compliance reporting for clinical research activities, assistance with preparing manuscripts for publication/conference presentations, data entry, and (as needed, under close supervision), assistance with basic data collection (e.g. administering experimental cognitive tasks or obtaining missing data on self-report questionnaires). The role will be required to report to Prof Naismith and liaise with senior staff and investigators of the CogSleep CRE and Healthy Brain Ageing Program.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Research Administration Officer, who possesses:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant field or equivalent relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and working on research projects, including expertise in applying and maintaining research protocols, preparing ethics submissions and assisting with grant applications, research reporting (preparation of manuscripts and conference presentations).
- Working understanding of principles and practical requirements relating to Human Ethics, Clinical Trial Governance and Good Clinical Practice.
- Excellent telephone and email communication skills, including the ability to complete telephone screening procedures for research study participants, managing telephone and email participant enquiries, liaising with staff and investigators within the CogSleep CRE and Healthy Brain Ageing programs to schedule meetings, organize travel arrangements etc.
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to communicate with Prof Naismith and senior staff to prioritize task completion.
- Ability to work independently in an unstructured and dynamic work environment.
The Faculty of Science is one of six faculties operating within the University and includes the Schools of Chemistry, Geosciences, History and Philosophy of Science, Life and Environmental Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics, Physics, Psychology, and the Sydney School of Veterinary Science. The Faculty stewards a range of research entities including the Sydney Institute of Agriculture and the Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics, and partners with University-wide research centres including the Charles Perkins Centre (CPC), the Brain and Mind Centre (BMC) and the University of Sydney Nano Institute.
The School of Psychology was the first established Psychology department in Australia and is currently one of the largest and has a proud history of excellence that characterises all of its research and educational activities. Sustained increases in research funding and strong enrolments have facilitated a rapid growth in our staffing and research profile, with 77 academic staff and 15 professional staff.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change, which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1251/0619F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 30 June 2019 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.