Residential Services Supervisor
1 day left
- Full Time
Closing date 11 Jul 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary £22,017–£25,482 (Grade 5)
Department Campus Services
Status Full Time
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
We are looking for individuals who can add value and assist us in delivering service excellence.
Reporting to the Senior Cleaning Supervisors and Deputy Head of Residential Cleaning Services you will work as part of a team supervising the cleaning of the Edinburgh Campus residences, academic and support buildings.
Hours: 35hrs per week, 5/7 including weekends, and statuary days, monthly rosters subject to change. Additional hours required at peak periods.
- Day to day responsibility for all cleaners, directing, supervising, training and motivating to deliver the cleaning schedule for all the designated areas
- Planning and implementing daily work schedules and staffing levels in keeping with the demands of the business
- Ensure all buildings, residences, offices,classrooms etc served by the team deliver a positive impression and are maintained to meet customer expectations and service level agreements
- Work with the Senior Cleaning Team Leaders and Deputy to forward plan staff, workschedules and training for all areas to meet the requirements of the business throughout the year
- Be responsible and accountable for quality control inspections, audits of accommodation and follow up where required. Manage stock levels of consumables, equipment, linen and other relevant items and be accountable for same
Key duties and responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To work flexibly and actively with the team to ensure that all accommodation and spaces on campus cleaned by the team is serviced in line with the relevant agreements in the most efficient manner.
- The post holder will be expected and required to deal with day to day matters with minimal supervision. The scope for decision making may be modelled by existing policies and procedures. The varied nature of the activities mean some of the issues encountered will be new or unexpected situations and the post holder will be expected to use their knowledge, experience and judgment, in addition to a degree of creative thinking and flexibility to resolve.
- Daily communication with cleaning teams to instruct on needs and priorities, changes in working practices and allocation of staff to other teams.
- To direct and proactively supervise the work and actions of the cleaners. This includes direct supervision; first line leave of absence authorization within departmental guidelines and business requirements; staff planning; requesting agency staff and the training of; re-allocation of work to cover absence; assisting with administering staff sickness, back to work interviews and performance reviews.
- To carry out daily checks and audits on cleaning standards across all areas of the University
- To carry out regular termly and final inventory inspections to bedrooms and flats to ensure the property is maintained to Residential Services standard of cleaning with follow up as required.
- To carry out daily checks on building maintenance ensuring that fire and general safety checks are being met; ensuring all maintenance issues are being followed through, including monitoring the activities of external contractors.
- Daily completion of worksheets, lost/left property log, keys issued, linen and cleaning stocks, and site hand over diary.
- Regular meetings with Senior Cleaning Supervisor and DHRC to discuss business issues, changes, staff concerns.
- Regular meetings with cleaners to discuss current business requirements, standards, problems and changes.
- To be involved in the appointment of cleaning staff
- Active involvement in assisting, delivering and overseeing the annual deep cleans, special cleans and post refurbishment programs for areas.
- Active involvement in planning, delivering and overseeing the changeover from student to non-student set ups, self-catering lets, summer schools etc. and the preparation of all facilities for new student arrivals ensuring that all area sand facilities are ready on time to include paperwork, dusters, linen, duvet packs, shower curtains ,mattress protectors etc.
- Stock control –linen, stock is received, stored, dispatched and accounted for; that cleaning materials do not exceed the agreed budget levels or run out.
- Ensure all Cleaners, temporary and agency staff receive an Induction; Health and Safety, Manual Handling, Risk Assessment and COSHH; plus specific skills and ongoing training.
- Undertake cleaning tasks as requested by line manager
- Ensure risk assessments in relation to all buildings are kept up to date and any necessary follow-up action is dealt with in a timely fashion.
- Carry out disciplinary and grievance investigations including performance management and interpersonal staff disputes and disagreements between Cleaners.
- Provide a high level of customer care to all students, visitors and other users of the campus, including assisting with concerns, emergencies and providing information.
- The post holder will be expected to support colleagues to interpret policies when appropriate, providing their advice and guidance to aid successful outcomes and processes.
- Create a collaborative team environment, leading by example and role modelling desired behaviours.
- At all times follow and adhere to University policies and procedures relating to Health and Safety and Fire Awareness, etc.
- Additional duties and functions may be required of the post depending on the development and nature of the operation which are not defined at this time but which may reasonably be requested to be carried out.
Education, qualifications and experience
Education & Qualifications
- Good English, numeracy and IT skills
- Experience or relevant qualifications in the hospitality industry
HNC or above in a Hospitality related discipline
Relevant Hotel & Institutional Operations qualification
BICS trainer certificate or HND in Hospitality Supervision
Relevant experience of leading an operations team
Experience of housekeeping techniques and operations
Experience of supervisory practices and principles
Excellent written and spoken communication
Computer literate - Outlook, Microsoft Office packages
- Previous experience of delivering a student service or hotel service
- Experience of Opera Reservation System
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Enthusiastic about getting the job done, has a positive attitude for improvement and pays attention to detail.
- Works continually towards achieving excellent service delivery through understanding and meeting/exceeding customer expectations
- Ability to interpret and follow direction as well as provide direction
- Works well with others and respects the expertise and contribution of other teams. Shares relevant and useful information and keeps team members up to date
- Able to demonstrate ongoing flexibility and adaptability to work changes
- Able to make judgements where there is more than a straightforward choice of options (e.g. when ordering and replenishing stock items)
- Awareness of confidentiality issues
- Ability to work quickly and accurately to deadlines
- Works well with others and respects the expertise and contribution of others. Shares relevant and useful information and keeps team members up to date
- Is willing to help others and share work load, whilst respecting their value that different views bring to a team and talks about other team members in a positive way
- Listens and understands the needs of others, whist clarifying to avoid misinterpretation
- Adapts own behaviour and responses to take into account cultural differences, behaviours and perspectives
- Uses initiative to resolve situations to keep an open mind as to alternative ways of dealing with them
- Other Relevant Factors
- Must be available to work at key times in keeping with business needs
- Ability to work at weekends
- Ability to work at short notice
- Willingness to participate in further training and development opportunities offered by the university, to further knowledge
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 11th July 2019.
Previous applicants need not apply.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.