Senior Internal Communications Officer
4 days left
- Contract Type
Application closing date 14/07/2019
Location Preston Campus
Salary Grade: G (£30,395 – £35,211)
Job category/type Professional Services
The role of Senior Internal Communications Officer will focus on student communications - creating and sharing the updates students need to get the most out of their university experience, and inspirational stories so they feel proud to study here.
You'll need to be a natural networker with strong stakeholder management skills, able to bring people together and create and manage a central communications plan focused on student needs.
You'll also create exciting and informative content for students and help continually improve our communication channels. You'll use best practice, student feedback and metrics to adapt and change approach if needed.
This is a very varied role as during summer months when student communications is quieter, you'll also support the wider internal communications team and work on staff messages and campaigns too.
This role will be part of the internal communications team at UCLan, responsible for all staff and student communications, and part of the wider marketing, communications and engagement service.
Key responsibilities include:
- Regularly meeting with senior stakeholders to advise them on their internal communications challenges, identify their news, and support them in creating plans and communications for students
- Managing the student communications plan and calendar, identifying opportunities to share updates and exciting content with students
- Creating a range of content for students - from news updates to blog posts, videos, events and social media content
- Acting as an advocate for the student experience - getting feedback to understand their needs and keeping them informed about:
- the things they need to know while studying
- the bigger picture and how it affects their experience here (e.g. the Campus Masterplan)
- the great things that students are doing, so they feel engaged and proud to work here
- Helping shape the Student Experience Strategy, so we're giving students the best possible experience
- Monitoring, measuring and using feedback and best practice to continuously improve our communications, campaigns and channels
- Essential criteria:
- Relevant degree in communications, PR, marketing, English or journalism
- Internal communications experience in a large, complex organisation, working with and influencing senior stakeholders
- Experience of the communications planning process, and developing communications plans
- Experience of developing and improving communications channels, using data, feedback, or communications best practice
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail, with the ability to write engaging news stories, blog posts, scripts, leadership messages, Q&As and tweets
- Digitally savvy, and able to manage content on social media channels, intranets, email distribution systems and CMS
- Good stakeholder management skills - able to advise, influence and offer appropriate challenge, to help people understand what good communications looks like
- A team player, committed to a positive solution-focused culture and the UCLan Values
Applicants need to meet all essential criteria on the person specification to be considered for interview. This position is based in Preston.
Please apply online; if you cannot apply online please contact Human Resources on 01772 892324 and quote the reference number. CVs will not be considered unless accompanies by a completed application form.
School/Service: Marketing, Communications & Engagement
Hours: Full time (36.25 hours per week - 1.0 FTE)
Interview Date: To be confirmed