- Full Time
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Euclid NASA Science Center at IPAC (ENSCI) at Caltech has an opening for an Applications Developer.
Euclid is a European Space Agency (ESA) mission to study the geometry and nature of the dark Universe, slated for launch in 2022. NASA has established ENSCI in order to support US-based investigations using Euclid data. ENSCI will participate in the Euclid Consortium’s Science Ground Segment, providing algorithm and software development, participating in data quality assurance, and performing data processing. In addition, ENSCI will support the US research community by providing expert insight into the Euclid surveys, data processing, calibration, and products. For more details, see http://euclid.caltech.edu.
IPAC is located on the campus of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, California by the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. Caltech is small, but has an extraordinary science impact, with 39 Nobel Prizes awarded to faculty and alumni. Caltech manages the Jet Propulsion Laboratory for NASA, the leading US center for the robotic exploration of the Solar System. Caltech also operates large-scale research facilities such as the Palomar and Keck Observatories, and LIGO, which in 2016 observed gravitational waves from colliding black holes for the first time.
Pasadena is a city known for its contributions to science and technology, and its rich history, cultural treasures, scenic beauty, and year-round comfortable weather create a desirable environment for life and ideas to thrive. See Bill Nye’s take on our city: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44UHulpBilY.
People choose to work at IPAC for many reasons, and the casual, employee-centric culture often leads to fulfilling, long-term careers and lasting relationships. Caltech’s benefits program offers a quality, competitive benefits package that is affordable for you and the Institute. The program provides a strong base of coverage for you and your dependents, and the ability to choose the plan and the level of coverage that best meet your needs. We also offer a 403(b) defined contribution plan to eligible staff as well as a Voluntary Retirement Savings (TDA) Plan. IPAC staff have access to the Institute’s facilities, including the athletic center, libraries, on-site daycare, professional development and enrichment classes, and Athenaeum club membership.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Do you have experience in science analysis, especially of astrophysics data, and also in software development? If so, we invite you to apply for a full-time position to work on algorithm and software development for Euclid
- You will work with the ENSCI team to develop and test algorithms, write original prototype and production-quality code for pipeline processing and Science Data Quality Analysis (SDQA), and simulate science data for pipeline validation
- You will also document your designs and software, and participate in meetings with the Euclid Consortium via telecon and videocon, as well as occasionally traveling to Euclid workshops in Europe
- BS degree and at least three years of experience in scientific programming for astronomy, physics, or related fields
- Experience developing modules as part of a larger processing pipeline, including interfaces, testing, and data quality assessment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and are you comfortable working in a distributed development environment
- Experience with both astronomy research and data reduction software application development, especially using C/C++ and Python
- Cover Letter