IT Operations Support Engineer
Location: Kings Meadow Campus
Salary: £30,395 to £39,609 per annum (pro-rata if applicable) depending on skills and experience. Salary progression beyond this scale is subject to performance.
Closing Date: Sunday 07 July 2019
Are you a highly-skilled IT Support Engineer specialising in IT Networks, with experience in providing operational support on a range of platforms in a large and complex IT network infrastructure?
The University of Nottingham is one of the top 75 Universities worldwide, having 46,000 students and 9,000 staff, with a global reach and campuses in the UK, China and Malaysia. The Information Services (IS) department is at the heart of delivering change to this global and increasingly digital community.
As part of this transforming organisation, IS are seeking to invest in an experienced IT Operations Support Engineer who will play a key role contributing towards the on-going support, maintenance, design, development and management of the University’s IT Network. You will provide technical support, advice and guidance on a range of platforms inherent to the effective management and operation of the University’s IT network (including Cisco switches and routers, firewalls, load balancers and wireless infrastructure). You will possess experience in providing support (install, configure, administer, maintain, backup, repair, service improvements) for a range of network technologies, platforms, products and services.
- Ability to undertake complex switching/routing changes on the campus data network (Cisco)
- Experience in the support, maintenance, configuration of relevant network infrastructure technologies
- Experience of managing routine service requests and issue/incident resolution
- Excellent analytical/problem solving skills
- Ability to rapidly assimilate detailed technical knowledge in specialist areas
- Broad understanding of a number of network platforms, products, services and technologies with demonstrable recent experience in current versions
- Experience working on large scale Cisco networks, through design, implementation and operational roles within a multi-site corporate organisation
- Comprehensive knowledge of networking protocols and principles including gigabit Ethernet, OSPF, BGP, Spanning Tree, CDP, MPLS, DNS, DHCP, BOOTP, Optical networks
- Proficient in use of networking tools such as Wireshark
- In depth knowledge and experience of Firewall management
- Experience working within an ITIL framework
- Good understanding of IPv6
- Demonstrable project delivery and change management skills
- Experience in configuring network management systems (preferably SolarWinds)
- HND/Degree level or equivalent relevant experience (Essential)
- Cisco Certified Networking Associate (CCNA) (Essential)
- Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP) (Desirable)
- ITIL Foundation certificate (or higher) (Desirable)
This is a full time, permanent position. Job share arrangements may be considered.