Research Ethics and Compliance Officer
- Be part of a university working towards an exciting new strategy
- An opportunity to collaborate with other faculties & divisions
- Join an exciting part of research in Ethics & Compliance
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Research Ethics & Compliance Support (RECS) team coordinates committees and processes for research involving humans, animals, gene technology, radiation safety and research export controls and provides advice on legislative and other requirements in these areas. Committees include the Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) and its Human Research Ethics Advisory Panels (HREAPs), the Animal Care & Ethics Committee (ACEC), the Gene Technology Research Committee (GTRC), and the Radiation Safety Committee (RSC). RECS also coordinates other research compliance areas such as export controls, drone use and biosecurity (quarantine).
About the role
- $85,326 - $91,023 (Plus 17% Super)
- 3 Year Fixed Term
This role will contribute to the compliance and support for a number of research ethics committees, including providing general advice to all relevant stakeholders on animal research ethics, gene technology and radiation safety matters.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Provide accurate advice and support to researchers in their development and design of animal research ethics, gene technology and radiation safety applications, modifications and progress and final reports prior to committee review.
- Assist researchers and committee members on the use of online platforms to facilitate research management and compliance.
- Support researchers and committee members on relevant legislation, regulations and guidelines that govern research involving animals, genetically modified organisms and radiation sources.
- Work in a fast pace team environment to ensure reliable scheduling and organisation of committee and executive meetings, facility inspections and licensing renewals.
- Prepare and manage agendas, meeting papers and minutes for the committees tasked with overseeing research involving animals, gene technology and radiation and ensure reliable recording and timely dissemination of meeting outcomes in accordance with legislation and institutional requirements.
- Monitor committee memberships to ensure that terms of membership and quorum are current and develop and foster collaborative working relationships with and amongst the members.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Degree in a relevant discipline, with subsequent experience in a research environment.
- Experience in research, including development, involving animals, gene technology and/or radiation, including ethical and compliance considerations in the conduct of the research.
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn the Codes, regulation and legislation related to animal research ethics, gene technology and radiation safety and skills to interpret accordingly.
- Demonstrated experience with stakeholders within a research environment to provide advice on animal ethics, gene technology and radiation safety.
- Ability and willingness to provide secretariat support to committees according to the highest standards of record management and working within a paperless, electronic environment.
Please provide a cover letter and response to each of the selection criteria outlined in the position description document addressing your suitability to the role.
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Simone Donovan, Talent Acquisition Lead
T: (61 2) 9385 8911
Applications close: Tuesday 2nd July 2019 at 11pm
Please disable "Pop-up Blockers" to view Position Description Document
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.