We are seeking a Staff Scientist to carry out experimental and analytical studies in shock metamorphism and dynamic compression.
- Design and execute shock recovery experiments.
- Analyze recovered experimental products in GPS Division and Kavli Nanoscience Institute analytical facilities
- Design and execute dynamic compression experiments with temperature diagnostics, including primary responsibility for maintaining NIST-traceable absolute calibration of pyrometer instrument.
- Collaborate with staff to maintain optimal experimental throughput in the shock wave laboratory.
- Collaborate with PI, graduate students, and visiting associates on writing and presenting scientific results from experimental studies.
- B.S. in Geology, Geophysics, or related scientific field.
- At least 3 years experience with geochemical analytical methods.
- Knowledge of dynamic compression methods.
- Knowledge of state of the art observation and interpretation of shock metamorphism in meteorites.
- Skills include quantitative radiance measurements, sample handling, microanalytical methods, interpretation of experimental and natural data, oral and written presentation of technical information.