Closing date 14 Jul 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary £17,079–£18,688 (Grade 3)
Department School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society
Status Full Time
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society is one of the UK’s leading institutions for multidisciplinary research and teaching in areas critical to economic development and societal equity. We aim to attain excellence in the teaching of the core disciplines that contribute to a sustainable, resource and energy efficient society and are committed to undertaking high value, high impact research and knowledge transfer in topics of relevance to global challenges.
The Institute for Life and Earth Sciences (ILES) undertakes multidisciplinary research in the areas of Environment, Health and Food Science, based both in Edinburgh and at the International Centre for Island Technology (ICIT) in the Orkney Isles. ICIT is a multidisciplinary research and postgraduate teaching centre which has been based in Orkney for thirty years. ICIT’s research focuses on the management of coastal and island resources, including renewable energy. Orkney is recognized as a world leading location for research, innovation and demonstration in the fields of renewable energy, marine science and environmental resources. Further information can be obtained at - https://www.hw.ac.uk/schools/energy-geoscience-infrastructure-society/iles.htm
This role will involve providing reception and administrative support for ICIT activities at the Orkney campus, ensuring that an excellent service is provided to staff, students and visitors. The work will be very varied and will cover a range of duties including provision of administrative support to learning and teaching, finance and marketing activities, executive support to the Director of ICIT, front-facing reception duties and provision of assistance with facilities management and health and safety duties. It offers an excellent opportunity to learn and develop a range of skills within a friendly and supportive team and full training will be provided.
The post will be based at the new Orkney campus building in Stromness but the post holder will be required to liaise with relevant staff at the Edinburgh campus to ensure processes align across the School and University as well as to create excellent working relationships.
The ICIT Support team is one of 8 professional services teams within the School and is managed by the ICIT Support Manager. The professional services teams within the School are committed to pursuing excellence and within this context aim to provide a supportive and professional environment in which excellent research, education and knowledge exchange can flourish.
Key duties and responsibilities
Provide front of house reception duties and general administrative support
Provide a professional and customer focused service by phone, email and in person; welcoming and advising visitors office security; signing for deliveries; receiving and advising visitors; issuing card access to the building; issuing keys; oil meter readings; photocopying; scanning, franking outgoing mail and taking mail to the post office; distributing incoming mail; arranging teas/coffees; managing room bookings for the shared campus space; booking catering for events and monitoring ICIT email accounts.
Provide support to facilities management
To include buildings support tasks (changing clocks, recycling, reporting building maintenance issues etc) room layout changes, ad hoc cleaning, recycling, preparation of building for events, e-bike sign out and organising maintenance of e-bike, issuing keys; library maintenance including reviewing self-scanner and liaison with Edinburgh library; lifting and carrying items (eg equipment) where required, arranging collection of confidential waste. The role also involves some driving duties.
Provide support to health and safety management
To include reporting of hazards, printing health and safety documents, monitoring training logs and identifying when staff need to renew licences, maintaining accurate records.
Provide executive support
Support the Director of ICIT with diary management, booking meetings, delegated authority for approval of annual leave requests, sickness reporting on the University’s iHR system etc. Clerk meetings as required including preparation of the agenda,
Provide administrative support to learning & teaching activities
The type of support required will include the following:
- Supporting UKVI Tier 4 attendance monitoring
- Fielding student and landlord telephone and email queries on accommodation, directing these to the ICIT Support Manager, as appropriate.
- Supporting student induction week preparations such as booking catering and ordering items for the student welcome packs.
- Supporting student exams, such as collate disabilities and additional support needs (e.g. extra time for students etc.); complete exam attendance spreadsheets; print papers; produce exam packs.
- Collecting and recording assessment submissions and maintain dissertation records.
- Supporting exam boards, such as collating documents for External Examiner visits (e.g. exam papers, assignments, dissertations etc.), preparing rooms, ordering catering etc.
- Maintaining a tracking spreadsheet of scholarships, those who have applied, those who are successful etc.
- Uploading information for students on Vision (e.g. handbooks, course information, exam dates, announcements for on campus students)
- Provide administrative support to student field trips etc.
- Provide administrative support to PGR activities including inductions, major/minor reviews, viva arrangements.
- Provide administrative support to the finance and procurement activities
This could include the following:
- Provide administrative support in the management of ICIT finances, such as: paying and logging invoices; adhering to purchase order system and ordering supplies.
- Requisition stationery stocks and order business cards for staff
- Arrange DHL pickups and finalise bill
- Provide support to website and social media
- Update and maintain the website pages, maintain online and social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In, provide reports on Facebook hits and upload photos.
- Contribute to delivering team objectives
- Provide support to other team members (both based in Orkney and in Edinburgh) as required to ensure service continuity.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Demonstrable ability to communicate effectively in English (verbal and written) and deal with customer/student queries
- Literacy and numeracy skills equivalent to SCQF Level 4 (National 4) or similar
- Competent in the use of relevant IT packages (Microsoft Office)
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a dynamic, changing and pressured environment
- Demonstrable provision of excellent customer service
- Attention to detail
- Capable of, and willing to lift and move items, where required
- Educated to SCQF level 5 (National 5) or equivalent
- Previous experience of working in an administrative role
- Full, clean driving licence
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on Sunday 14th July 2019.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.