Professor of Research and Director of CERI
Professor of Research for the Institute of Education & Director of the Centre for Educational Research and Innovation (CERI)
Salary: Professorial Scale
Derby DE22 1GB
Challenging, interesting and constantly changing, the University of Derby is an extraordinary place to learn and an incredibly rewarding place to work. Ours is an extraordinary educational environment and because we specialise in identifying and developing individual potential, you can be confident you'll receive all the help and encouragement you need to build a rewarding career with lots of opportunities to progress.
Our combined higher and further education offering is spread over campuses in Derby, Buxton, Leek and Chesterfield and we have some of the best university facilities in the UK, investing more than £200 million in facilities in the last 10 years. We achieve outstanding results for our teaching and research and with more than 34,000 people choosing to study with us every year, we depend on the dedication of a team of 2,200 academic and professional services staff.
Financially strong and seriously ambitious, we offer our employees a family-friendly, rewarding career with lots of opportunities to progress.
We would like to appoint a professor with an international research profile, ideally in either Special Educational Needs and Inclusion or Teacher Education, to become the Director of the Centre for Educational Research and Innovation (CERI) within the Institute of Education. We will also welcome applications from individuals whose research profile fits closely with CERI’s other areas of expertise.
- Research in CERI has major strengths in Special Education Needs and Inclusion and contains within it the renowned International Centre for Guidance Studies (iCeGS).
- Technical and Vocational Education and Training and Higher Education Policy are other areas of significance, each led by one of our professors.
- Our research in evidence-based teaching and educational leadership is growing and we have an ambition to develop and grow this research. This will support and held build our excellent teacher education practice: we were graded ‘Outstanding’ for both Primary and Further Education ITE provision in the Ofsted inspection of 2015.
This professorial appointee will be part of the senior leadership team of the Institute of Education and will report to the Head of the Institute of Education and will be responsible for the strategic leadership of research across the Institute of Education.
We invite applications from individuals who have an international research profile preferably in either Special Educational Needs and Inclusion or Teacher Education, or whose research profile fits closely with CERI’s other areas of expertise. You will have a track record of successful research income generation, as well as the leadership and management experience to work constructively with the team of professors, associate professors and researchers in CERI, as well as other academics in the Institute of Education to build on the success of the centre. Joining us, you will be expected to further enhance our successful 2014 REF submission for REF 2021 and future submissions.
- Accessible location; Derby is a thriving, multi-cultural city with easy access from any location within the UK
- Competitive rates of pay
- Competitive, family friendly reward packages
- Opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme
- Discount savings scheme and extensive staff discounts on accredited courses for yourself or family to study here at the University
- Cycle2Work scheme and subsidised travel
- Vast programme of training courses and secondment opportunities
- Local recognition scheme
The University of Derby is ranked among the UK’s top 30 universities in the Guardian University League Table 2018. We have world-wide partnerships, a reputation for academic excellence and are rated TEF Gold. It is an exciting time to be part of the University.
Intending applicants may have an informal discussion about the requirements of the role by contacting Dr Mohammed Jakhara, Head of the Institute of Education by email: M.Jakhara@derby.ac.uk or telephone: +44 1332 592978.
For more information and to apply, please click the “Apply” button below.
Closing date: Thursday, 11th July 2019.
Interviews will be held in the second week of September 2019.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect everyone who works for us to also share this commitment and to treat people with courtesy and respect.