The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
Department of Bioengineering
Stanford Bioengineering is a dynamic and rapidly growing department within the Stanford Schools of Engineering and Medicine. For more than a decade, the Department of Bioengineering has sought to advance bioengineering as a fundamental engineering discipline grounded in basic sciences, powered by a unique set of engineering concepts and principles, and capable of realizing many diverse applications. Our community ranges broadly, consisting of esteemed alumni, world class faculty and students, dynamic staff and administrators and include some of the world's most successful leaders in bioengineering technology and business In realizing our mission, our staff are critical to supporting our organization’s goals and enabling Stanford faculty and students to accomplish its mission conducting cutting-edge research with the objective of formulating innovative solutions to global challenges through the field of bioengineering.
Some people only care about joules and bits. We care about joules, bits, and atoms, especially as formulated in life and living matter! We are operating a public-benefit program — FREE GENES — to liberate genetically-encoded functions from the combined tyranny of lineage, evolution, and property rights. We are best-in-world at handling atoms and in turning biobits into DNA but we could really use some help in wrangling the bits themselves. Stated differently, we are looking for an awesome, intrepid, and progressive software developer to join our team. Our success will produce a huge collection of free to use and distribute genes for anyone anywhere. In getting started we are looking for a developer to create a simple interface that takes in gene designs, confirms that each design can be built, and then automatically order the accepted genes. Through automating these processes, you will work with world experts in learning about gene design, state of the art gene synthesis capabilities, and the most cutting edge technologies in synthetic biology. If that sounds like you, then come join our team!
Please note that this is a one-year fixed term position, there may be an option for renewal based on funding.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assess user needs and requirements.
- Design and develop applications that may involve sophisticated data manipulation.
- Maintain and update existing programs.
- Troubleshoot and solve technical problems.
- Create programs to meet reporting and analysis needs.
- Design and implement user and operations training programs.
- Document changes in software for end users.
- Follow team software development methodology.
- Serve as technical resource with respect to applications.
- Flexibility with other tasks as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Current knowledge of latest software and design standards.
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for technical applications.
- Knowledge of and ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures.
- Basic knowledge of software engineering principles.
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language.
Experience with current front (UI/UX) and back end (database, json, etc.) technologies.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
Job Code: 4821
Employee Status: Fixed-Term
Requisition ID: 83402