Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The Finance Department of the Stanford Graduate School of Business seeks a Director, Finance to provide strategic direction and leadership of this critical function. Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean of Finance and Administration, you will lead a high performing Finance team that supports the operations behind a world class academic institution, where you will lend your expertise to ensure the financial success and viability of the GSB.
Provide strategic direction and leadership for school-wide financial operations with responsibility for its overall success. Achieve mission and goals through the management of staff and/or managerial staff.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Facilitate the annual strategy and budget process with the leadership team.
- Lead, execute and communicate operational and long range budgets, forecasting and strategy.
- Direct staff and provide leadership to achieve goals and vision of the organization. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, professional development and accountable for the performance of direct reports.
- Develop and direct strategic plans for organization or program(s) managed. May develop multi-year business plans. Identify and resolve strategic issues of substantial significance that affect the overall functioning beyond the immediate unit, consult and advise senior leadership. Make decisions that establish objectives for the overall direction/operation of a significant organization. Oversee allocation of all resources.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the organizational structure and programs to ensure success, development of employees and appropriate use of staff resources
- Make strategic decisions using complex, comprehensive analyses, high level financial modeling; provide information and context to leadership to support senior leadership decisions.
- Responsible for the financial viability and success of the organization, including long term planning.
- Provide strategy, vision and direction that have wide scope and impact, make recommendations, influence issues related to university finance and accounting policy.
- May independently or in collaboration with human resources managers, guide supervisors in the interpretation and implementation of human resources policies, procedures and programs.
- Advise senior management on programmatic and policy development. May provide input to university leadership on institutional administrative policies and guidelines.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and seven years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory, planning and change management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to influence people, solve problems, trouble shoot, think creatively and resolve conflicts.
- Advanced understanding of financial principles.
- Advanced financial expertise in budget planning, and financial forecasting.
- Advanced knowledge of Oracle or other business financial systems.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills to review and analyze complex financial information.
- Advanced user knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong knowledge of industry standards and/or regulatory requirements.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
- We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
Job Code: 4143
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 83456