At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have several years of experience in work coordination? If you think that site coordination in an environment of particles accelerators is a challenge and a real opportunity, you should definitely seize this chance! CERN, take part!
As a metal worker you will be part of the coordination team of the Accelerator Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE) in the Engineering Department. You will be in charge of coordinating the worksite interventions in accelerators during programmed stops, with respect to safety aspects.
You will join the Coordination, Consignation and Safety Section within the ACE Group, which is responsible for operational safety, worksite coordination and organization of the electrical “lock-in/lock-out” for the LHC machine.
As a workshop coordinator and worksite supervisor, you will:
- Be the interface between requestors and collaborators;
- Coordinate the mechanical/welding activity of the workshop;
- Follow up on site installation and maintenance activities for the different accelerators, ensuring all activities are carried out within an agreed overall schedule;
- Identify and resolve conflicting coactivity issues with the stakeholders concerned;
- In collaboration with the operational safety advisor and the relevant project safety officers, verify that the relevant safety rules and procedures are applied;
- Ensure the on-site logistics and space management.
Higher technical diploma in the field of metal work or a related field.
- Relevant experience in metalworking, welding, assembly and machining;
- Professional experience in supervision of works with coactivity;
- Proven experience in managing safety issues;
- Experience in the coordination of work with different companies and the preparation of technical documentation.
- Organisation, planning and control: including supervision of works;
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures;
- Knowledge of personal protective equipment;
- Professional knowledge of metallic structures;
- Definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation and cost estimate;
- Ability to read and understand 2D and 3D technical drawings.
- Working in teams: acknowledging the contribution of colleagues; recognizing their limitations and offering support to overcome their difficulties; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; carrying out a full risk analysis before starting activity / project; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.07.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-ACE-COS-2019-72-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further