Resource Techologist A
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest and one of the finest medical schools in the United States. Penn is rich in tradition and heritage and at the same time consistently at the forefront of new developments and innovations in medical education and research. Since its founding in 1765 the School has been a strong presence in the community and prides itself on educating the leaders of tomorrow in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. http://www.med.upenn.edu/
The individual will be responsible for providing Biorepository services to a large research community of physicians, nurses, clinical research personnel, and clinical care coordinators in guaranteeing the success of the biospecimen collection.
In addition, the individual will assist the Tissue Bank Technical Director, Research and Academic Faculty (Director and Co-Director) and Staff (other Technicians) with all services.
* Perform tissue collection, processing and distribution in a research environment, working with human tissues and other biospecimens, archive slides and blocks.
* Ensure tissue preparation meets current laboratory and research standards.
* Maintain tissue bank database and specimen inventory systems for stored tissue and other biospecimens.
* Section paraffin-embedded & fixed-frozen specimens
* Assist the Tissue Bank Technical Director and other Technicians in daily operations, including the ordering of consumables.
* Assist other tissue banks with consent.
A Bachelor’s Degree BS/BA in the Biological Sciences, AS/HT (ASCP), BS/HT OR HTL (ASCP). and 0 to 1 year of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
* Must have working knowledge of medical terminology and medical experience either in a clinical and/or research setting.
* Experience and proficiency with gross examinations, tissue trimming & processing, embedding, cassette and slide labeling, sectioning of paraffin and frozen samples, including serial sectioning, and cover slipping, is required.
* Other technical skills a plus i.e. aseptic technique and cryopreservation desired.
* A good working knowledge of routine and special histological stains is a plus.
* Experience working with human biospecimens is also desirable. Previous surgical experience, ASCP and other certifications helpful but not required
* Applicants must have a sense of self-direction, strong multitasking, organization and time management skills, and be able to work within some degree of time constraint.
* Should have skills in patient contact, have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact professionally, compassionately, and confidentially with researchers and other medical staff.
* Requires the ability to work both independently and the ability to work well on a team.
* Should possess solid computer skills including word processing, data-entry.
* Preferred that candidates has experience & familiarity with Microsoft Excel and databases in general
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.