ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $206 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 660 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, and Information Technology.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
The Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost for R&DE provides strategic and tactical direction to the business units across R&DE and ensures that consistent practices and policies are deployed across the business units and are in alignment with R&DE’s mission and vision.
This position will provide custodial support for Stanford’s Student Housing facilities. He/She will be responsible for cleaning, organizing, and maintaining an assigned student housing area. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, and other duties may be assigned:
- Organize and maintain all equipment and chemicals in the custodial closet in a secure, clean, and in ready condition for use.
- Understand how to prepare and use all chemicals and maintained MSDA manual on cleaning chemicals.
- Clean a variety of floors and floor coverings.
- Clean, scrub, sweep, pick up, wipe, wash, dust, polish all common interior/exterior areas including walls, handrails, fixtures, woodwork, ceilings, furniture, light fixtures, appliances, picture frames, mirrors, water fountains, switch covers, and shelving.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms, shower rooms, laundry rooms, and locker areas.
- Report to management all emergencies damages, fixtures/furniture losses, maintenance needs, equipment repairs, and safety issues.
- Clean windows and doors in the designated upper floor interior windows and first floor exterior and interior windows as required.
- Clean kitchenette. Remove and relocate dishes from counter to designated area. Clean exterior and interior of stove, refrigerator, sink, counter tops, cabinets and drawers.
- Provide full service support for summer programs including but not limited to: clean guest rooms, make bed with clean linen, and provide towels for bathroom.
- Perform a variety of labor related tasks. Move and set up furniture for special events; replace light bulbs, replace vacuum cleaner bags and belts, pick up and deliver newsletters, flyers, perform periodic inspections, and various other tasks required in the event of an emergency.
- Perform light maintenance work such as simple painting, replace washer in faucets, clean out and/or plunge drains, and use water removal equipment in the event of flooding.
- Provide information by demonstrating cleaning techniques, equipment and cleaning chemicals to new and seasonal temporary employees.
- Clean Resident Fellow apartments. Provide general cleaning tasks.
- Responsible for insuring that the key rings are secure at all times and checked in at the end of each shift.
- Responsible for adhering to all safety guidelines and procedures; must wear safety gear in performing tasks such as wearing safety glasses, gloves, and protective clothing when appropriate.
- Work areas are in and outside of student housing facilities. MATERIAL AND
- Commercial cleaning chemicals
- Commercial cleaning supplies
- Cleaning equipment (vacuum, mop, broom, rake, blower and power-wash machines)
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions):
- This position is considered moderately to highly physical, and requires a lot of standing, bending, lifting and walking. Approximately 95% of time is spent standing or moving around work area, and approximately 5% of time is spent working at a desk, or sitting.
- The ability to lift and carry up to twenty-five (25) pounds on a regular basis is necessary for transporting supplies and goods.
- The ability to stoop, kneel, carry, ascend/descend stairs, climb ladder, push and pull on a regular basis.
- Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with co-workers and students.
- Must be able to read, write, understand and take direction in English. • High school diploma or general educations degree, GED
- One year of cleaning, Custodial/Janitorial experience or equivalent combination of education and experience - Required.
- Ability to bend, stoop, load, carry, ascend/descend stairs, climb ladder, push and pull.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to operate tools, and use cleaning chemicals according to safe work practices.
- Must be able to work variable shifts and overtime at different locations.
- Must have a valid CA Driver’s License.
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7652
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A67
- Requisition ID: 83431