2 days left
- Full Time
School of Energy Geoscience Infrastructure & Society
About Heriot-Watt University
About our Team
Key duties and responsibilities
Provide technical support to staff and PhD students.
Set up and maintain experimental apparatus and test components under operational conditions.
Ensure that equipment is functioning properly and is ready to use.
Diagnose faults and undertake repairs/ maintenance on equipment , and apparatus used in research laboratories
Ensure that equipment is properly cleaned and that chemicals and other materials are properly stored.
Provide technical support and guidance for students and staff.• Mentor, train and instruct junior staff
Understand and acknowledge risks associated with the work activity and operate in a safe and compliant manner at all times applying control measures identified through risk assessment.
Monitor changes/trends and technical advances/ developments in the area of expertise and continue to expand and improve skills to keep up with new technologies in the field.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Education, qualifications and experience
1. Educated to Scottish Higher/A-level standard (or equivalent).
2. Accomplished in using relevant inspection and measuring equipment
3. Able to work from drawings/sketches and verbal instructions and interpret the requirements of customers with limited competence in the relevant field
4. Able to set up a wide range of relevant apparatus/equipment and advise on correct use
5. Able to plan and organise assigned projects/programmes of work
6. Good technical fault finding and problem solving skills
7. Experience of preparing components/apparatus/samples to a high level of precision
8. Experience of relevant health and safety protocols
9. Demonstrate self-motivation and desire to achieve the objectives agreed with managers working towards the strategic goals set by the School, taking a methodical approach.
10. Demonstrate willingness and ability to continuously learn and develop new skills in line with changing trends in the technology field.
11. Computer literacy using Microsoft Office software and other packages
12. Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
13. Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a dynamic, changing and pressured environment
14. Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
1. First degree in Petroleum Engineering or a relevant subject
2. 2 years’ post-qualification work experience in a relevant role
3. Experience in the use of scientific equipment such as centrifuge, balances, PH meters, X-ray.
4. Experience in conducting highly-specialised two and/or three phase core floods
5. Capacity for innovative thinking
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) Wednesday 19th June 2019.
Informal enquiries can be made to Professor Mehran Sohrabi; email@example.com
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
Use our total rewards calculator to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.