Heriot-Watt University - Information Services
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The Enhancing Online Collaboration project will deliver a more effective digital workplace for the University via transition to cloud-based technologies. Building on the recent implementation of the myHWU Staff Portal, the project will deliver a migration of the current SharePoint 2010 intranet site to the SharePoint Online platform, to enable opportunities for improved global collaboration and to support Strategy 2025’s aim of becoming ‘a global, connected university’.
The post will be based within the Web Development Team within the Applications department of Information Services, and in a project team consisting of project manager, communications officer and records manager.
This one year post is an ideal opportunity to contribute significantly to digital transformation at the University, particularly in relation to the introduction of Office365 and cloud-based working. The successful candidate will support the University to fully realise the benefits and the embedding of SharePoint Online and integrated Office365 applications, including myHWU Staff Portal.
The successful candidate will have a strong development background within SharePoint Online/Office365 environment, and ideally experienced in the delivery of a migration of an intranet to SharePoint Online.
The successful candidate will work closely with an external supplier to support the successful technical migration to SharePoint Online from SharePoint 2010. This will involve working closely with end-users to assist in the development of their SharePoint Online environment and permissions structure through analysing business processes, gathering requirements and offering solutions within the full array of Office365 development tools. The successful candidate will also be responsible for the provision of training and support for site administrators.
The candidate will join a multi-discipline project team that works across the University to deliver digital projects. Working in a small team the candidate will be expected to work pro-actively, pick up new skills and work on multiple projects simultaneously. Due to the nature and size of the team it is expected that the candidate will work proactively and will deliver tasks to agreed deadlines.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Supporting successful migration from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint Online.
- Engaging with stakeholder groups to understand business requirements and processes to offer and develop digital business solutions using SharePoint Online and related O365 suite, including myHWU Staff Portal;
- Supporting transition into B.A.U via development of training packages for administrators and end-users, guidance and product roadmap.
- Disseminating best practice via guidance and demonstrations for end-users.
- Working with third-party suppliers on development and integration activities.
- Performing functional testing and coordinating user acceptance testing (UAT).
- Ensuring that technical documentation is created and maintained.
- Performing 2nd line end-user support.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience and qualification)
- Experience developing out of box features, webparts, workflows and integrations for SharePoint Online to deliver business solutions.
- Experience of developing within an Office365 environment using solutions developed within the SharePoint Framework (SPFX), Microsoft Flow and PowerApps.
- Thorough understanding of SharePoint Online permissions management.
- Experience providing support for SharePoint Online/Office365 applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience of working directly with end users
- An analytical and proactive approach to problem solving and development.
- Microsoft Certification in SharePoint Online/Office365.
- Web development experience using AngularJS and RESTful APIs.
- Experience of migration to SharePoint Online.
- Experience of working with an external supplier.
- Experience of Software Development Lifecycle and Agile methodology.
- Experience writing documentation for both users and technical staff.
- Awareness of UI/UX techniques.
- Maintaining knowledge of industry developments/trends and initiative to do CPD (internal and external).
- Proven track record of meeting deadlines.
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on Sunday 16th June 2019.
It is planned that interviews will take place week commencing 1st July 2019.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.