Special Scientist, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
(1) year with option to renew
FOSS Research Centre for Sustainable Energy (www.foss.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announces one (1) vacancy for a full or part- time Special Scientist position to work on research projects at FOSS. The successful candidate will be employed in externally funded research programs of FOSS. It should be mentioned that one (1) month of full time employment at the University of Cyprus corresponds to 140 hours.
First Degree (with at least a 2.1 class or equivalent) in one of the following: Physics, Applied Mathematics, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
Any prior experience with COMSOL, finite element method and in plasma physics is not necessary but will be considered as an additional qualification.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate is expected to conduct research under projects of the Electromagnetics and Novel Applications Laboratory (ENAL) in the field of plasma physics. The successful candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Modelling of atmospheric pressure plasma in free space and its interaction with various surfaces including dielectrics and biological samples.
Participation in experimental work and training at the University of Cyprus and at our international partners.
Writing articles and publications of research results.
Supervision of research projects conducted by bachelor (final year) and postgraduate students Support in research project management.
Contribution to the dissemination of results and in educational activities.
The monthly employment cost for full time employment (140 hrs/month) is in the range of €1200-2800 (€8,57/hr
- €20/hr). From this amount, employer and employee contributions to the various Government Funds as well as any income tax will be deducted. The salary can vary depending on experience, qualifications, and specific duties in research projects involved. The initial contract, which is on an hourly basis, is for one (1) year with the possibility of renewal based on successful progress. 13thsalary is not provided.
Ideally, the position should be combined with an application for a PhD at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Cyprus and the research work that will be carried out will be the subject of the doctoral thesis.
- Letter of interest for the position
- Full cv
- Copies of degrees and transcripts
- Name and contact details of two referees for recommendation letters.
Applications need to be submitted by email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by Wednesday, 31th of July 2019. The application must include the application code FOSS2019SS-07.
For more information please contact: Professor George E. Georghiou, τel: +357-22892272, email: firstname.lastname@example.org