The Department of Biology is seeking a 100%, Administrative Associate to provide administrative support to several faculty and their lab members with limited supervision. The Biology department is the center of life science research at Stanford. Our mission is to lead in understanding life, from molecules to cells, and organisms to ecosystems. The Biology faculty are committed to excellence in research and education, and are proud of the outstanding students and staff who make this possible.
The AA3 will be responsible of preparation of complex grant proposals and fellowship applications, including budget preparation and referencing, communications and timely processing of all documents with various funding agencies and University offices. Assist faculty with preparation of annual progress reports for sponsor. The candidate must be able to manage frequent orders of lab supplies for all labs, draft and assemble documents for equipment procurement; prepare detailed written business justifications for purchases.
The AA3 should be able to advise faculty and students regarding travel requirements and policies. Make complex and detailed travel arrangements for professors and lab members, as well as for campus visitors and speakers (much of this online). Prepare and process reimbursements using Stanford’s online systems. He/she may be responsible for training and/or leading other administrative staff or subordinates.
The candidate will also be responsible in updating detailed publication lists for faculty per specific formatting instructions. They will locate publication pdf files for faculty on as needed basis and create publication pdf file library as needed. Including assisting faculty with manuscript updates, submission and status.
Other duties include:
- Read and interpret program announcement and guidelines, advise faculty on process and requirements, draft administrative documents for faculty review, assist with publication referencing, liaison with various funding agencies and University offices as necessary. Independently prepare detailed yearly and overall budget, including salaries, fringe benefits and IDC. Draft budget justification.
- Prepare visa applications for H-1B and J-1 visas for lab staff, postdocs and other appointed positions. Prepare applications for visa extensions.
- Place orders with vendors using Stanford procurement systems. Keep lab members informed of status of their orders. Handle returns as required.
- Handle appointment process for new lab staff, postdocs and visitors. Work with Biology HR, faculty and applicants. Assist in scheduling interviews as requested.
- Act on behalf of the supervisor, department manager, faculty or chair in regards to establishing priorities and identifying and resolving problems that are administrative in nature.
- Oversee and/or perform duties associated with scheduling, organizing, and operating complex conferences, seminars, and events, including arranging with vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, administering logistics, and managing event within budget.
- Compose and draft documents and correspondence for presentations, course handouts, grants, conferences, seminars, and reports; perform substantial editing and fact checking. Create, maintain, modify, and/or ensure accuracy of content in various unit documents, displays, reports, brochures, social media, and/or websites.
- Plan and schedule calendar(s) with limited consultation, resolve calendaring conflicts, and arrange travel in compliance with unit, university, and sponsor policies.
- Create complex reports and spreadsheets which may utilize specialized software and systems. Assist faculty with preparation of sponsor required annual progress reports.
- Oversee and/or process a variety of complex financial transactions; produce, monitor, and reconcile budget statements; research, identify, and resolve discrepancies. Assist with capital or special lab equipment requests and/or vendor selection.
- Coordinate and monitor routine maintenance services completion. Plan and coordinate office moves and/or minor renovation projects. Prepare POs, gets quotes and arrange for service and or maintenance contracts for lab equipment.
- May lead staff or supervise day-to-day work of student and/or temporary workers, including scheduling, assigning, and prioritizing workloads, setting appropriate deadlines, reviewing work for quality and timeliness, and providing performance review input.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma and four years of administrative experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications.
- Demonstrated success in following through and completing projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and assign work to others.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects.
- Ability to routinely and independently exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, reach/work above shoulders, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, use a telephone, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat, kneel/crawl.
- Frequent errands on campus. Need to walk between various Biology buildings.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stanford welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching and clinical missions.
Job Family: Administration
Job Series: Administrative Associate
Job Code: 4103
Job Code: 4103
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 83390