Assistant Professor in the Area of Materials Modeling, Electrochemical Energy Storage
Skoltech Center for Energy Science and Technology (CEST) is seeking for an Assistant Professor (full-time) having major expertise in computational materials science covering areas such as modeling of materials for energy storage (rechargeable batteries), and development of high-throughput computational tools for materials modeling. A particular interest is in development of novel competitive energy storage technologies. The preferred starting date is September 2019, but it can be negotiated.
We are looking for a highly qualified candidate committed to research, education, and innovation, who holds a Ph.D. degree (or equivalent) in Physics and Mathematics, and has considerable experience in battery materials computational design and development, validated by publications in top peer-reviewed journals.
A solid background in the following areas is mandatory:
- Solid-state chemistry and physics including knowledge of structure and properties of functional inorganic materials and the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo;
- Condensed matter physics, thermodynamics, crystallography
- Quantum mechanics, quantum chemistry and density functional theory (DFT) methods
- Calculations with DFT codes (VASP, Abinit, etc.)
- Programming in Python and C++, high-throughput materials modeling tools development
- Nudged elastic band method, cluster expansion method
- Calculations of bulk and surface atomic structure, phase stability plots, migration barriers
- Modeling of cathode materials for metal-ion batteries using DFT+U method
- Leading external research projects, cooperation with industry, fundraising;
- Mentoring students and supervising theses and diploma work.
You will mentor and teach students, recruit and supervise researchers, provide leadership to the team. The duties will also include leading innovative research projects and submitting proposals and applications for external funding, promoting partnerships with industry, and strengthening educational aspects in your area. Teaching and research are carried out in English.
Skoltech Center for Energy Science and Technology (CEST) is an interdisciplinary center for research, education and innovation at Skoltech that focuses on study and development of devices and systems that can dramatically advance portable electronics, electric vehicle transportation and grid energy storage sectors.
- A challenging job in an international, dynamic and professional environment;
- Synergy between science, innovations, and technology;
- Substantial research support;
- Internationally competitive compensation package.
The application submission deadline is July 3, 2019. The application must be submitted online at: http://join.skoltech.ru/how-to-apply/ and should include: CV with a list of publications, research and teaching statements, a statement of interest or involvement in innovation, and list of at least three referees with contact information. Please note the code of the current vacancy that you will need when filling out the application form: [76_AP_CEST]
The application will be accepted until the position is filled.
Skoltech is committed to diversity and equality, and all are invited to apply without regard for gender, race or national origin.