IS Generalist Assistant
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Who We Are
Caltech is more than a world-renowned research and education institution, it is a community of curious, passionate individuals who work together to understand and solve the world’s complex problems. Caltech has an extraordinary impact, with 39 Nobel Prizes awarded to faculty and alumni.
Caltech is an award-winning workplace and one of the best places to work in the greater Los Angeles area. We offer an exciting and dynamic work environment, career development opportunities, competitive pay programs, great benefits, and the opportunity to participate in many campus programs and activities.
People choose to work at Caltech for many reasons, and the casual, employee-centric culture often leads to fulfilling, long-term careers and lasting relationships. We seek the best and brightest talent to join our workforce and become members of our community. Exceptional employees are critical to Caltech’s success.
IPAC provides science operations, user support, data and archive services, and scientific vision to maximize discovery with some of the world’s largest space telescopes and ground based observatories. We are partners with NASA, NSF, JPL, and the international research community to advance the exploration of our Universe. Over our three-decade history, we have provided a range of support for more than 20 astronomy missions. Scientists from all over the world use our online archives to explore the origins of our Universe, figure out how stars are formed, discover new planets, and detect the next potentially hazardous asteroid
The NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED) team has an opening for an occasional IS Generalist for approximately 20 hours/week for 10 weeks.
- Work with engineers on the NED team to test and debug NED code written in C
- Compile and test the legacy code written in C (developed and maintained for almost 30 years in Solaris environment) in Linux environment, document the issues found, modify the code to make it runnable perform tests by comparing the results with the results of running the original application
- Work with the existing NED Python notebook, add new functions when needed, improve and document it
- Work with the open source code astroquery and pyvo for the NED connection in VO community
- Other duties as assigned
- Two years of college, majoring in physics, astronomy, computer science, or related field
- Has taken at least two computer science classes
- Has working knowledge of programming language C, C++, or Python Is interested in science and eager to learn
More searches like this
- Permanent Computer Science Research Assistants / Officers jobs in California
- Permanent Engineering & Technology Research Assistants / Officers jobs in California
- Permanent Physical Sciences Research Assistants / Officers jobs in California
- Permanent Physics & Astronomy Research Assistants / Officers jobs in California