Assistant Director, Occupational Health and Safety
Department Safety, Emergency, and Enterprise Risk Management (SEERM)
Alternate Department Description Environmental Health and Safety
Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check
Motor Vehicle Background Check Yes
Job Category Administrative or Professional Faculty
Job Type Full-Time
Location Fairfax, VA
Other Location Also Science and Technology and Arlington campus
Salary Commensurate with education and experience.
The George Mason University Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS)—within the department of Safety, Emergency, and Enterprise Risk Management (SEERM)—invites applications for the Assistant Director of Occupational Health and safety. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Under the direction of the Director, the Assistant Director of Occupational Safety and Health will oversee and manage employee safety and occupational health programs for non-laboratory/non-research operations at the university. Areas of responsibility include general safety, hazard assessment, lock-out/tag-out, electrical safety, confined spaces, hearing conservation, fall protection, industrial hygiene and indoor air quality, hearing conservation, respiratory protection, medical surveillance, ergonomics, and accident/incident investigation.
- Master’s degree in industrial hygiene, safety, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. A degree from an unrelated field may be accepted if an applicant demonstrates an equivalent level of training and experience in a safety discipline;
- Relevant work experience including both technical and program management responsibilities;
- Supervisory experience (creating professional development plans, performance plans and conducting personnel evaluations);
- Knowledge of OSHA General Industry and/or Construction Industry regulatory requirements;
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of education and experience;
- Experience developing and editing written safety compliance plans and associated documents;
- Experience developing and presenting safety training programs;
- Successful completion of required medical evaluations and vaccinations;
- Possess a valid license to drive a vehicle in the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Successful completion of a comprehensive background check and financial check.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist and/or Certified Safety Professional credentialing;
- Experience reviewing construction plans and other design documents to evaluate safety concerns or code compliance issues;
- Experience working in a related position at an institution of higher education.
- Experience working with computer-based safety management system,
- Bilingual in English/Spanish.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA17Gz at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Campus Safety Information
Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/