Senior Business & Solutions Analyst
Job Description Summary:
George Washington (GW) Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. GW IT partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the AVP, IT Planning & Strategy, the Sr. Business & Solutions Analyst works within the Division’s Planning & Strategic Initiatives department.
This position is an experienced senior solutions analyst that is a member of The George Washington University IT solutions team. This role is responsible for understanding business needs and collaborating with other technology stakeholders to deliver high quality, technology based business solutions. On many projects, this role is the logical solution owner who works alongside the technical architect to design the functional behavior of a system.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Department specific duties are as follows:
- Formulates recommendations to improve and support business activities to include both technology based solutions and business process changes with the desire to capitalize on existing capabilities, identify opportunities for reuse and assist in addressing overall demand
- Collaborates with a diverse group of executives and key stakeholders to understand direction required for success
- Analyzes customer’s prioritized business needs and processes and assists in planning and designing new processes by taking responsibility for investigative work to determine requirements and specify effective business processes, through improvements in information systems, data management, practices, procedures and organization
- Identifies, learns and evaluates potential product based solutions to meet business needs that align with existing enterprise solutions. Engages with external 3rd parties as required
- Documents and verifies requirements, ensuring requirements are complete, consistent, concise, comprehensible, traceable, feasible, and verifiable
- Contributes to the development of solution architectures in specific business, infrastructure or functional areas. Identifies and evaluates alternative architectures and the trade-offs in cost, performance and scalability
- Works with architects to evaluate and propose solution approaches to ensure decisions meet long-term growth.
- Uses consistent processes for identifying potential risks and issues
- Takes ownership of advocating the customer’s perspective and communicating requirements to other team members in any appropriate method or manner to ensure success
- Champions high standards in all aspects of the interaction between student user experience and the University’s systems, products and services
- Willingness to take on additional tasks within the project management lifecycle as needed, including managing efforts, coordinating testing and supporting implementation
This position is based at GW’s Virginia Science & Technology campus in Ashburn, VA but may require travel to the Foggy Bottom campus located in Washington, DC.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Well-developed analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills, leveraging both logic and creativity
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience in this field
- Design thinking
- Strong analytical and design skills with the ability to generate ideas and roadmap planning
- Experience in requirements/user story management
- Experience in team and/or project management is desirable
- Experience in a variety of agile and waterfall methodologies are desirable
- Must be well organized, thrive in a sense-of-urgency environment, leverage best practices, and most importantly, innovate through any problem with a can-do attitude
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Seeks ways to continuously improve and innovate
- Builds partnerships and is a strong team player
- Experience in ERP, CRM or Higher Education are nice to have