Assistant Director, Development Communications and Senior Writer
Stanford Medicine, Office of Medical Center Development
This position will be located at the new Stanford Redwood City campus.
Job Code: 4273
Grade: J / Writer 3
Exemption: 100% Exempt
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Inspire some of the world’s most influential people to help Stanford Medicine create a healthier future. Our Office of Medical Center Development (MCD) is seeking a mission-driven individual with a passion for philanthropy, an interest in science, a background in writing, and experience managing internal employees and contractors to work out of our new state-of-the-art campus in Redwood City, CA.
If you can articulate the goals and vision of complex initiatives… clearly explain how something works and why it matters to diverse audiences, including individual philanthropists and sophisticated foundations…. weave in strategic messages that make a compelling case for support… lead a project from inception to completion… be a supportive and detail-oriented manager and mentor for a small team of writers… then you could be the ideal candidate for this Assistant Director, Development Communications position in our highly successful fundraising organization.
Reporting to, and working closely as a thought partner with, the Director of Communications, Digital and Content Strategy at MCD, the Assistant Director and Senior Writer will be part of a top-notch creative services team who work collaboratively to advance the mission of supporting education for tomorrow’s medical leaders, creating new standards in health care delivery and advancing some of the most promising and creative medical research underway in America today.
The right candidate will be responsible for telling stories about the impact of philanthropy, writing case statements and proposals, and creating marketing materials for our donors and prospective donors. Projects will include whitepapers, one-pagers, faculty bios, event collateral and more. The position requires the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, serving as the lead on projects that involve colleagues in design, video, and/or digital services and require input from faculty and various other internal stakeholders as well as coordinating projects with freelance writers. The position will also help hire, onboard and manage a small team of experienced internal writers.
The ideal candidate is an organized, self-starter and superb writer with excellent interpersonal, project and people management skills. Experience writing for nonprofits or in the fields of medicine and/or science is preferred.
Please include three writing samples with your resume and cover letter. Further samples will be requested as needed.
Your responsibilities will include*:
- Understanding Stanford Medicine’s fundraising goals, articulating how these goals advance the mission of the enterprise, and conveying the impact of philanthropy to a variety of audiences.
- Working collaboratively with faculty, various teams within MCD and across the university to develop targeted communications products that inspire giving.
- Maintaining relationships with gift officers and making salient recommendations on communications strategies.
- Researching, writing, and editing content, including gift stories, proposals, whitepapers, brochures, one-pagers, bios and other marketing and event collateral.
- Tailoring written materials to inspire different audiences through a variety of channels. Coordinating reviews by internal and external partners and incorporating feedback.
- Managing production of communications projects and publications, tracking schedules and adhering to deadlines.
- Leading project meetings and participating in regular department-wide and team meetings.
- Working closely with in-house design, online, and video teams.
- Hiring, onboarding and managing a small team of writers.
- Managing freelance writing resources and acting as project lead on outsourced projects.
Other duties may also be assigned.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of eight years of related experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Professional writing experience, including both long- and short-form content.
- The ability to understand complex materials and synthesize across multiple sources to produce materials for diverse audiences.
- Experience with or desire to manage both internal employee(s) and contract resources.
- Ability to synthesize ideas and information into clear, accurate, and persuasive prose; change voice and writing styles for various authors and audiences; and adapt content for different purposes and communications channels.
- Attention to detail as well as flawless copyediting and proofing skills.
- Client service orientation, with proven ability to interact with a wide range of people at different levels of an organization.
- Prior experience in planning and managing complex marketing/communications programs, coordinating the roles of multiple project contributors, setting priorities and schedules, and meeting deadlines with a minimum of supervision.
- Demonstrated sound judgment in situations that require independent decision making, problem solving, and handling confidential and sensitive materials.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and apply ingenuity and creativity in solving complex problems.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills.
Why Stanford for you:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is a diverse and dedicated 17,000-person staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy.
Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer extensive training, career development and tuition reimbursement programs.
- A caring culture. We provide excellent retirement plans, generous time-off, family care resources and on-site child care.
- A healthier you. Choose from hundreds of health and fitness classes at our brand-new world-class exercise facilities. We also provide highly competitive health care benefits.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commute programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4273
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J