Student Services Officer 2
Exempt, 100% FTE
Student Services Officer 2
The Department of English is seeking a Student Services Manager (SSM) to work closely with other staff, faculty and students as a key part of its administrative team. The Department of English is one of the largest departments in the Humanities and consists of 30+ Academic Council faculty, 20+ academic teaching staff, and 8 office staff. The Creative Writing Program and its renowned Stegner Fellowship program is administratively linked to the department, its faculty being appointed in the Department of English. English offers close to 200 courses annually, including literature and creative writing courses. Academic degrees include B.A., co-terminal M.A., Ph.D. in English, and minors in English, Creative Writing, and Digital Humanities. The Literary Lab (digital humanities) and the Center for the Study of the Novel are closely affiliated with the department and are supported by its administrative staff.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the SSM plays a crucial role in the department. The SSM collaborates and works closely with faculty and other staff to provide the department’s 60+ graduate students with the necessary support for their academic success. The SSM supervises one exempt employee who coordinates the departmental curriculum and oversees ~150 undergraduate majors and minors. The SSM also serves as a liaison with many Stanford units such as the School of Humanities and Sciences Dean’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, the Student Services Center, and other departments and programs throughout the university.
This position is multi-faceted and dynamic. Candidates should be self-starters, comfortable with autonomy, must be able help resolve complex issues requiring to and embrace opportunities to shape programmatic initiatives and to drive these initiatives to completion. Experience in administering student programs and advising is highly preferred.
- Administer student services in English Department, evaluate and recommend decisions on program eligibility. Review decisions recommended by other staff.
- Collaborate with others to help resolve student services issues and concerns, interpret policies, and mediate complex and sensitive issues.
- Resolve multi-dimensional matters in response to students in crisis, at risk, or who have other program issues, counsel students and parents on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Provide guidance and counsel, oversee, and develop a wide range of programs and services; analyze effectiveness and make recommendations for future programs.
- Reconcile complex issues; analyze diverse transactions from multiple sources.
- Summarize data from multiple sources, prepare management reports and presentations.
- Identify and evaluate data needs, manage the implementation and development of technology.
- Develop and implement plans for outreach efforts, develop and maintain external community, and act as liaison to represent department and university at meetings and events.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Apprise students of research, fellowship and scholarship opportunities, make recommendations, and may award grants.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to other departments; represent unit/department.
- Lead, create and contribute to development of business practices and organizational change to improve processes and workflow.
- May oversee, analyze and assist in financial processes and development of budgets.
- Serve as a key member of university wide teams and projects.
- May train and supervise other staff, volunteers, and temporary workers.
Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience in Stanford’s academic and student-related systems, including CLSS, GFS, and School of Humanities and Sciences’ GFPS, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.
- Flexibility and ability to manage fast changing priorities.
- Advanced analysis and problem solving skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience, and the willingness to learn new systems and processes as they are implemented.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Frequently sit, perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Occasionally stand, walk, twist, use fine manipulation, grasp, use a telephone, write by hand, sort and file paperwork, lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide,http://adminguide.stanford.edu
Final offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and, where applicable, driving record.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7502
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: H