Advancement Information Services Assistant
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Advancement Information Services Assistant is a full-time staff position reporting to the Executive Director of Advancement Information Services (AIS). This position has primary responsibility for supporting the activities of the Executive Director and provides clerical support to other members of the Advancement Information Services team.
S/he will support the executive director with fielding telephone calls, filing, data entry, writing correspondence, providing meeting support, scheduling, travel arrangements, creating statistical reports, internal and external communications, report on AIS budget, and track hardware inventory.
S/he directly supports the Development Records Management, Business Practices, Training and Advance Support teams, by providing clerical support, producing reports, and coordinating the activities of each unit within Advancement Information Services.
The assistant supports the entire Development and Institute Relations division working directly with IMSS Advanced Care team to manage the division’s desktop computer and printer resources. S/he also works with the Finance & Facilities team, as necessary, to assist with onboarding, office relocations and other division-wide matters.
The purpose of Development and Institute Relations is to foster a thriving and engaged community of support for Caltech. By connecting the people who share and support Caltech’s mission and values, we will ensure the Institute receives the necessary resources to achieve Caltech’s aspirations and sustain its excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship in perpetuity. DIR team members embrace and uphold the values of diversity, integrity, respect, focus, and pride.
- Support the Executive Director of Advancement Information Services producing correspondence, travel reports, and special communications. Provide support in scheduling meetings and appointments for the Executive Director, answering telephone calls, voice mail and maintaining schedules in an electronic calendar
- Monitor, reconcile and assist in developing projections and reports related to the Advancement Information Services operating budgets
- Coordinate travel arrangements and trip itineraries for the Executive Director of Advancement Information Services, as well as for the other administrators in the Advancement Information Services department
- Work with the Business Practices team to generate, create and distribute monthly reports for Development and Institute Relations and other staff members, including the monthly Division Giving and Summary of Transactions report
- Supervise purchase orders and check requests for the Advancement Information Services department
- Withdraw travel advances and maintain travel expense reports for AIS staff. Keep a record of vendor receipts and information. Order divisional computer and copier supplies, such as toner, etc., and distribute those supplies
- Assist the Executive Director of Advancement Information Services, by creating and maintaining a log of staff vacation and sick time usage, and producing monthly usage reports for all managers in the division
- Maintain the Advancement Information Services calendar with team vacation and travel schedules and maintain DIR specific information on the calendar. Update and distribute emergency phone list for AIS staff
- Attend Advancement Information Services management team meetings and compose and distribute agenda and minutes for the meetings
- Approve time cards in the absence of the Executive Director and other AIS management staff
- Fields telephone calls from volunteers, trustees, administrators, parents and alumni constituents in the absence of the Executive Director and other members of the staff. Communicate directly with donors and volunteers by written and phone communication in response to queries and in support of program assignments
- Maintain a log and reconcile credit card ("P-card") usage for the Executive Director and other Directors within Advancement Services
- Prepare and maintain current documentation on records procedures and related activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Be computer literate with experience in word-processing, spreadsheet and relational database software as well as familiarity with the internet. Proficiency in software to include MSWord, Excel and Outlook
- Possess strong problem solving abilities and be able to exercise independent initiative as appropriate
- Be very well organized, able to work on multiple projects simultaneously as well as effectively deal with a variety of administrative offices in a highly professional manner
- Possess excellent written communication skills, including strong editing, spelling and grammar skills
- Have strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with co-workers and constituents
- Be tactful, discrete and diplomatic - and able to deal sensitively with confidential information
- Demonstrate the ability to practice and adhere to organizational values
- Proficiency with Ellucian's Advance development and alumni relations database software or similar CRM
- Familiarity with Concur and Kronos software applications
- One to three years prior experience as an assistant in a professional office setting
- Experience in a not-for-profit institutional advancement setting
- Cover Letter