Business Continuity and Emergency Manager
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The Facilities & Hospitality Department of the Stanford GSB seeks an experienced and highly skilled Business Continuity and Emergency Manager to lead the development and implementation of processes, tools, systems, and metrics for business continuity management (BCM), emergency preparedness and response, physical security and travel risk management. This role will be responsible for daily program operations as well as new projects and initiatives. You will collaborate with key stakeholders within the GSB and across the university in planning and responding to incidents impacting the health and safety of our students, staff and faculty on campus and while traveling.
The GSB campus properties include the Knight Management Center and GSB Residences on 19.5 acres with nearly 700K sq.ft. of buildings that support academic and administrative functions, student and executive residential experiences and food service programs. The Schwab Residential Center is a 24-hour, 7-day/week residence, conference center.
If you are an experienced business continuity, emergency preparedness and response, and security professional, ready to take-on new challenges in higher education, this is a position for you.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Lead the planning and operations for emergency preparedness and response, business continuity, and physical security for the GSB.
- Analyze, develop and implement the GSB’s business continuity and emergency management program. Collaborate and participate in university working groups to ensure alignment. Partner with IT to develop application/process mapping for business continuity.
- Identify and implement tools and resources for emergency management.
- Manage, participate in, evaluate and establish goals and objectives for emergency and business continuity exercises to ensure appropriate preparedness levels; support the development of and facilitate internal drills and table-top exercises.
- Train response team members and educate the GSB community on resilience practices. Promote a culture of preparedness at the GSB.
- Manage the GSB’s 24/7 security vendor and program.
- Support international travel risk assessment activities including compliance reporting and traveler tracking. Participate in the development and implementation of risk mitigation plans and process improvements.
- Evaluate programs, policies and procedures. Identify issues, and develop alternative solutions which may include changes to programs, policies and procedures for area of responsibility.
- Review and analyze trends to advise and develop recommendation to achieve and modify safety and security goals.
- Represent the GSB when engaging with University departments such as Office of International Affairs, Environmental Health and Safety, Risk Management and Department of Public Safety.
- Manage and contribute to the development of outreach strategy that include relationship development, communications and compliance.
- Assess training needs and develop associated trainings.
- Direct staff in tasks that support safety, security and risk goals.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Ability to accomplish goals working through formal and informal channels, with diplomacy and tactfulness.
- Demonstrated creativity, problem solving, critical analysis, initiative, judgment and, decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and meet budget goals.
- Demonstrated solid planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience working independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong relevant subject matter knowledge.
- Ability to direct the work of others to achieve goals.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Business Continuity training and/or certification.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4122
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J