Research Assistant, Mathematics
2 days left
- Full Time
Organization Name Mathematics
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR), and the Petroleum Institute (PI) into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Develop the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
- Develop the ability to understand and share research findings within the group, and establish contacts and network with colleagues
- Develop the ability to assist in university teaching activities, especially if inclined towards a teaching career.
This multidisciplinary project combines applied mathematics, statistics, genomics, and computer science, the combination of which we term “genomic data science.” The goal is to study dimensionality reduction, especially with regard to manifold learning via diffusion. The core project tasks include benchmarking and comparison on a battery of numerical tests (designed within the group). Our research will incorporate manifold learning into in a suite of tools that can overcome existing challenges with genomic data. Consequently, our approach will enable the efficient discovery of high-order gene interactions and better predictions for common disease. The project involves analyzing large amounts of data and executing computations using multiple software packages. The Research Assistant will be the team point person in executing and utilizing the various computer codes in order to ensure that computations execute appropriately and that the results are efficiently organized. In addition, (s)he will provide general support to group members so that the more senior members can focus on the advanced statistical and scientific work. If the research assistant excels, it is plausible that their responsibilities evolve into more advanced/scientific responsibilities that would result in authorship on journal articles. The research assistant will be responsible for ensuring that the numerous computing jobs submitted by various team members execute appropriately, alerting the team if there are any bugs. This includes prototyping, testing, debugging, and monitoring computational jobs on Khalifa University’s high performance supercomputer. (S)he also ensures that our results stay organized, as the research group will have multiple projects working in parallel, and will provide general operational support as determined by Dr. Feng.
Bachelor’s Degree in applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, or other quantitative field (i.e. engineering). Open to all degrees if the applicant can demonstrate appropriate experience.
- Strong overall computer skills, including exposure to UNIX-based operating systems (i.e. Ubuntu Linux or Mac OSX)
- Undergraduate knowledge of the sampling distribution of an estimator
- Ability to learn independently with appropriate guidance
- Ability to fluently communicate in English
How To Apply
CV + Research Interest Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae)
Apply for Research Assistant, Mathematics
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly