Automotive Technology, Instructor or Assistant Professor
Dona Ana Community College (DACC) is a comprehensive, learning-centered community college dedicated to a diverse population of learners in support of student success, workforce and economic development and lifelong learning. Established in 1973 at the request of the Gadsden, Hatch and Las Cruces school boards, DACC continues to meet the educational needs of county residents by providing instruction leading to associate degrees and technical certificates as well as community and adult education opportunities. As the second largest community college in the state, DACC offers accessible and affordable higher education opportunities to more than 18,000 students annually with eight learning sites county-wide. As part of New Mexico State University, DACC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Teach 36 credit hours or equivalent over an academic year. Teaching assignment may include day, evenings, weekends, and/or multiple campus locations. Theory and hands-on teaching of all automotive related subjects. Develop, revise and update curriculum in collaboration with the department faculty and director or chair. May develop and teach online courses. Instruct, support, advise and provide timely feedback to students in accordance with DACC policy and procedures. Participate in and serve on department, division, and college committees, task forces and working groups. Maintain professional and academic competence and participate in professional development activities. Oversee cooperative education or clinical work site development and student placement. Maintain office hours as mandated by division and college policy. Function as advisor to students, both individually and as assigned to student clubs and groups. As a 12-month faculty, will perform program administrative duties to include but not limited to: development of program schedules; development of assessment plans and associated reports; perform annual program review; oversee any specialized accreditation to include application, reporting, and site visits; coordinate and facilitate Automotive Technology program advisory committee and meeting; complete federal grant reports when requested; and maintain student credentials/certifications. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree in Automotive Technology or equivalent combination of post-secondary education and tested work experience. Bachelor’s degree or appropriate industry credentials will be required for promotion to the senior ranks.
- Two semesters experience teaching or relevant training of automotive technicians, including both theory and hands-on instruction.
- ASE Automotive Technician in at least five areas taught at DACC.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Automotive Technology or related field.
- Two years full-time equivalent teaching experience in a community college or post-secondary institution.
- Three (3) years of experience as an ASE certified automotive technician.
- Master ASE Automotive Technician in multiple areas
- Knowledge of innovative, creative teaching and learning methodologies for post-secondary students.
- Experience with media, evolving instructional technologies, and distance learning programs and delivery.
- Background or experience using computer technology and the ability to use spreadsheet, word processing, presentation, and database software.
- Experience in developing curriculum, measuring student learning outcomes, evaluating course efficacy, and assessing and improving student learning.
- Endorsement of the teaching philosophy of DACC which supports a goal of success for all students through active learning experiences and strong faculty involvement.
- Demonstrated experience teaching and relating to students from diverse academic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills working with students, colleagues, staff, supervisors, and the community.
- Bilingual competence in Spanish and English will be considered an asset.