Associate Research Fellow, System Modelling and Simulation
As a valued member of the Institute for Intelligent Systems Research and Innovation (IISRI), the Research Fellow will contribute to a high quality research and publishing in one or more areas of industry 4.0, simulation modelling, data analytics and computational intelligence.
This role will provide you with opportunities to support various projects and you will join a multidisciplinary team to initiate and conduct research in the design and development of simulation models supporting Industry 4.0 for system performance analysis and assessment, including formulating advanced data analytic methodologies for model output, data analysis and decision support.
Take your career into a new direction by joining a team that is regarded for its intensive research focus mainly on motion simulators, simulation training and haptics, autonomous systems and robotics, systems modelling and simulation, and human performance and cognition, whilst making a difference to the communities we serve.
Your prior experience in simulation modelling will be an added advantage and willing to adopt and develop new ideas and be open to new learning.
This role is a 2 years fixed term contract with the level A ($68,914 - $92,644 + 17% super) and will be based at the Waurn Ponds campus.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- a relevant doctoral qualification or equivalent research experience
- in-depth knowledge in agent-based and or discrete event-based models
- research experience, which has resulted in publications, conference papers, reports, or professional or technical contributions, which give evidence of research ability
- experience in the application of modelling in manufacturing, transport, mining and/or other industrial sectors
- experience with computational data analysis methodologies
- a research track record and a demonstrated ability to plan, initiate and conduct high quality research
- ability to develop collaborative work teams and to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- good interpersonal skills and demonstrated excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- supporting and assisting with research projects, collaborations, creative activity, research programs or partnerships
- supporting and assisting with the successful application of scholarly and research expertise to innovation and invention, with appropriate involvement in the commercialisation of outcomes
- developing an early career research plan
- communicate findings through oral and written reports
- demonstrated ability to meet competing deadlines, and organisational skills including the demonstrated ability to maintain a high standard of laboratory and data record keeping
- contribute effectively to all aspects of industry projects as required, including proposal preparation, design and development
- participate in the development and/or maintenance of links and partnerships with industry and relevant professional bodies and the community
- perform administrative tasks commensurate with position responsibilities and contribute to processes that enable the effective management of the project
Deakin University is proud to be recognised as an organisation that offers a friendly, supportive and challenging working environment. Our staff are committed to making a genuine difference to people’s lives through excellence in education and research.
We acknowledge the importance of providing a dynamic and diverse working environment and offer variety in day-to-day roles as well as professional development opportunities to assist staff to grow and progress their careers.
Deakin University staff have the opportunity to interact with colleagues from a diverse range of cultures and professional backgrounds, all of whom share a common interest in lifelong learning.
We value our staff and understand that they are more than just their jobs, that's why we offer benefits that enhance work life.
Some of Deakin’s workplace benefits include:
- 17% superannuation
- flexible work arrangements
- discounts with third party suppliers for health insurance, car rentals IT and more
The flexible learning options we provide our students and our diverse team of professionals and academic experts has enabled us to achieve a 5-star rating by the prestigious university ranking organisation Quacquarelli Symonds. For eight consecutive years, we've achieved the highest level of overall student satisfaction among Victorian universities.
We have a network of campuses, learning centres and research centres across Victoria and corporate offices in Melbourne, China, Indonesia, India and Sri Lanka. Our online Cloud campus provides more than 13,000 students with access to state-of-the-art digital tools and direct access to world-renowned academics.
As a Victorian university with a global impact, Deakin is translating its research into commercial outcomes that will help drive innovation for Australia’s economy.
All applicants MUST address the Key Selection Criteria along with the Cover Letter and Resume.
At Deakin we value diversity, embrace difference and nurture a connected, safe and respectful community. We recognise that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and responsibilities. In many cases, academic careers can be put on hold through career breaks or part-time work arrangements to take on caring duties, gain experience in other industries, for medical reasons or other personal circumstances.
Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.