Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Department Criminology, Law & Society
Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check
Motor Vehicle Background Check No
Restricted Position? No, is eligible for layoff or severance benefits.
Job Category Classified Staff
Job Type Full-Time
Working Hours Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Location Fairfax, VA
Pay Band Payband 4
Salary Mid $40's/Commensurate with education and experience.
The George Mason University Department of Criminology, Law and Society (CLS) is accepting applications for an Undergraduate Academic Advisor. The CLS Undergraduate Advising team is committed to supporting the education of the whole student and integrating student life with learning. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This full-time position is part of a team of undergraduate advisors that works together in advising all CLS majors and minors (approximately 1600 students). Advisors are each assigned an individual student caseload.
- Provide academic advice and guidance to prospective and current undergraduate CLS students from admission to graduation in support of the students’ academic and career goals:
- Support and engage students in the process of developing clear and attainable educational goals;
- Effectively interpret, implement, and communicate Mason degree requirements, deadlines, policies and procedures;
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) laws; and
- Facilitate new student orientation advising sessions for freshmen and transfer students.
- Maintain student records to reflect current academic standing with regard to the undergraduate degree requirements:
- Keep current on continually changing curriculum requirements;
- Learn new advising technologies as required by the college and university; and
- Perform graduation audits and graduation checkout/confirmation for students in assigned caseload.
- Support undergraduate program and department operations as needed:
- Represent the CLS department at admissions fairs and advising events;
- Communicate student needs, concerns, and requests to the Undergraduate Coordinator and Director
- Collaborate with offices across campus to support students’ academic programs (e.g., Office of Global Education and Career Services).
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated experience in academic advising, student career counseling, or providing student support within a higher education setting;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Detail-oriented, organized, and ability to multitask;
- Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team; and
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Knowledge of university academic policies and procedures; and
- Experience with advising technology/programs (e.g., Ellucian Banner, Degree Works, Student Success Collaborative, etc.).
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02904z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by June 16, 2019; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Campus Safety Information
Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/