Director of Product Management
The Director of Product Management will serve as a leader in delivering new and innovative products to the students, customers, and end-users of Northeastern University. This position will embrace industry-aligned best practices in product management and evidence-based, best-in-class learning experience design for the Lifelong Learning Network and the broader mission of Northeastern University. This individual will oversee general operations of the OEL Product Management team and be responsible for the mentoring and management of staff, to serve as a voice of innovation and to support the efforts of his/her team to deliver captivatingly rich, learner-centric learning experiences, from non-credit learning modules to full academic course experiences. He/she will develop appropriate professional development opportunities and process enhancements for team and individual growth.
This role presents significant technical, analytical, and leadership opportunities with enormous potential for business impact. Successful candidates will be entrepreneurial and creative problem solvers who are able to lead high-performing cross functional teams that bring their vision to reality. Candidates must feel comfortable both working with the “big picture” strategy while also be able to dive deep into the specific details of a product while simultaneously defining and communicating front-line vision as a key leader within Northeastern University Global System.
The Director will supervise a team of Product Managers and Senior Product Managers who each are responsible for managing a portfolio of university products and will serve as the principal team member responsible for overseeing a ‘product team’. Product teams serve as a primary delivery vehicle for full-cycle product development from ideation, design and development, quality assurance, deployment and delivery, to maintenance. This team will work cross-functionally in a heavily matrixed environment to support the pipeline of new and revised products for the OEL team. A product team will also include a lead Learning Experience Designer, and an Assistant Project Manager who will, together with the Product Manager, lead the active development of the portfolio. In addition to the core team, a product team may include one or more instructional designers, multimedia development staff (videographers, animators and graphic artists), as well as significant human resourcing from a vendor partner and through Northeastern contractor resources ‘the Network’.
This position reports and works in close collaboration with the Senior Director of Experiential Learning Design & Product Development.
This person will be responsible for and/or demonstrate the following skills or experiences:
- In collaboration with peers, leadership and in consultation with the design team and creative team, manage the portfolio of to ensure timely completion of design and learning experience projects, while maintaining a high-quality end product. Proactively implement needed updates, changes, upgrades as necessary to ensure the design process is on the cutting edge of best practices in online course development in higher-education and supports the mission and goals of LLN and NU.
- In close partnership with the Project Management team, provide strong project management skills to ensure appropriate resource allocation and the on-time design, development and launch of programs and courses in market.
- Engage and foster relationships with academic leaders, faculty and campus community. Trouble-shoot issues as they arise at any point in the program development process.
- Experience with instructional design approaches, evidenced-based design and experiential learning approaches for online (design, development skills, knowledge and application of evidence-based approaches, research and trends).
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal communication skills, enthusiasm, positive attitude, ability to communicate with peers and colleagues around difficult and challenging discussions in an objective and proactive manner
- Develop with team and leadership innovate systems for monitoring academic quality, student engagement and student success in assigned programs.
- Engage and foster relationships with faculty and campus community. Trouble-shoot issues as they arise at any point in the program development process.
- Working closely with faculty training and support team, identify and support faculty development needs.