Associate Professor of Interaction Design
About the position
At the Faculty of Architecture and Design, Department of Design, NTNU Trondheim, there is a vacancy for a 100% permanent position as Associate Professor of Interaction design. The Department of Design teaches industrial design, graphic design, interaction design and web development. Research areas at the department are: sustainability, marine operations and health. See the department's website for more information: www.ntnu.no/design. See also the Faculty of Architecture and Design: http://www.ntnu.no/ad
The position reports to Head of Department.
The position will mainly be related to the field of Interaction design. The position includes responsibility for:
- Teaching and developing courses in the faculty's 5-year and 2-year master program in Industrial design
- Tutoring and supervision of master and PhD students
- Teaching at the department's supplementary training courses
- Developing and publishing new knowledge in the field through research and development
- Carrying out research tasks in established research projects on interaction design, human factors, autonomy and design of safety-critical systems in the maritime domain
- Further developing education and research collaboration in the field, together with other departments at NTNU, as well as international partners
- Preparing competitive research applications for internal and external funding
- Collaborating with industry, public and academic institutions
- PhD in interaction design, design or related subject areas such as human-machine interaction, cognitive psychology, computer technology, computer science, etc.
- Documented outstanding research skills and / or practical experience in interaction design, human factors or design of safety-critical systems
- Educational qualifications and abilities
Qualifications that will be emphasized:
- Expertise in teaching design subjects at Bachelor and Master level
- Documented academic production at doctoral level or equivalent
- Experience within supervision at doctoral level
- Ability to initiate and lead research, innovation and development work
- Practical experience from domains such as industry, oil and gas, shipping, or health
- Educational qualifications and ability to communicate well with students
- Practical experience with design of complex and safety-critical systems
- Interest in teaching and research in interaction design, design and adjacent areas
- The ability to further develop the academic environment, both pedagogically and scientifically
- Good collaboration skills and ability to work across traditional subject boundaries
- Good skills in network and relationship building
- Ability and motivation to contribute to a good working environment
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability and interest in development of the position
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
Employees who do not have formal qualifications in teaching at university level and who cannot provide documentation of equivalent qualifications must complete an approved pedagogical development programme within two years of appointment.
The person appointed must comply with the decisions about changes due to developments in the subject area, and the organizational changes that may result from decisions regarding the university's activities.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course in Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position.
The gross salary for the position of Associate professor code 1011 is normally from NOK 550 000 - 650 000 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The person appointed must live in a location enabling him/her to be present at and available to the institution.
About the application
The application must include:
- A description of your ambitions and visions for this position
- Documentation of scientific work (up to 10 works)
- Documentation of practical experience as an interaction designer
- A description of scientific work, design projects or other relevant work that the applicant considers most relevant for the position. The documentation must contain a description of the applicant's role in the projects
- A brief description of the scientific or educational relevance of the applicant's research and development work
- An account of pedagogical competence and experience
- CV and a complete list of publications with information about where the work is published
- Certificates and diplomas
The application will be assessed by an external expert committee. The most relevant applicants will be called in for interview and a trial of pedagogical skills.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Further information about the position and the research projects the applicant will be working on can be obtained by contacting Head of Department Ole Andreas Alsos, telephone: +47 915 44 825, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Professor Thomas Porathe telephone: +46 70-668 18 19, e-mail: email@example.com
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Design
We are located in both Trondheim (industrial design) and Gjøvik (graphic design and web technology). Both groups have expertise in interaction design and share research interests in health and welfare technology. The design environment links many technology communities at NTNU, and nationally the Department has extensive collaboration with Norwegian industrial companies. The Department of Design is one of four departments in the Faculty of Architecture and Design.
Deadline 23rd June 2019
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service NTNU Gløshaugen