Food Service Associate
PART TIME, 20 HOURS PER WEEK, 4P-8:30P WITH OCCASIONAL 7A-3:30P OFF EVERY 3-4 WEEKENDS PATIENT MENU TECHNICIAN EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS HIGHLY DESIRED
Perform a variety of food and customer service tasks involved in receiving and processing patient diet orders; visit patients for menu selections entering selections into appropriate computerized equipment; assemble and pass trays to patients; requisition supplies according to established par levels on patient floors.
- Visit patients on assigned floors upon admission to explain menu process and collect diet preferences.
- Visit patients to obtain their menu selections and input selections into hand held computer.
- Determine food preferences for patients on routine modified diets; make diet changes as required or order additional food items as necessary.
- Maintain and calculate appropriate patient data according to established guidelines.
- Deliver food trays and supplements to patients.
- Compare trays to patient census, checking for accuracy and correcting when necessary.
- Prepare and assemble finishing items for trays, including coffee, tea, ice cream, ice cups, water, toast.
- Ensure proper food temperature by properly using the rethermunits; detect and report improperly prepared food to supervisor.
- Revisit patients after passing trays to assure patients are satisfied; collect all trays from patients after meal service for transport to dish room.
- Requisition and assemble bulk supplies for patient floors following established par levels; accurately record all items delivered to the floor.
- Clean and maintain galleys according to established cleaning procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read/follow instructions.
- Ability to read/audit patient menu items.
- Ability to prepare/handle foodstuffs using safe food handling practices.
- Ability to maintain accurate and updated patient dietary information.
- Knowledge of basic math.
- Customer service skills.
- Data entry skills.
- Basic computer skills.
Level Characteristics N/A
Duke Entity DUKE REGIONAL HOSPITAL
Job Family Level B1
Full Time / Part Time PART TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Level I No previous food service experience required. Level II Work requires six months of food service experience.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications